PDA

View Full Version : I think I have IBS. What medicine can I take?

onewithnopowers
09-21-2013, 12:40 PM
I spoke to my nan about my belly aches. She thinks I have IBS the same as her and my mum. My nan swears down by buscopan but it says in the leaflet you have to be diagnosed with IBS which I haven't...
I have looked into IBS symptoms and they made total sense so I believe I have IBS but is it okay to take buscopan? I was looking at other threads on here and people have said pepto-bismol is good for it. So I got both medicines and don't know which one to take...
I'm also on the pill (microgynon) and don't know if that will affect it?
I know I should probably see my doctor but I always leave feeling like my questions haven't been answered...
So should I try these medicines first or see the doctor?
I'm so confused right now >_<

Also I get a lot of heartburn/acid reflux is it bad to take gaviscon with IBS medicines?

SoundsFamiliar
09-21-2013, 02:51 PM
IBS could be a symptom of a horribly destructive disease like celiac's which if left undiagnosed could leave your intestines really badly damaged. I urge you to seek a doctor's advice.

sf

flipfleury
09-22-2013, 06:44 PM
I spoke to my nan about my belly aches. She thinks I have IBS the same as her and my mum. My nan swears down by buscopan but it says in the leaflet you have to be diagnosed with IBS which I haven't...
I have looked into IBS symptoms and they made total sense so I believe I have IBS but is it okay to take buscopan? I was looking at other threads on here and people have said pepto-bismol is good for it. So I got both medicines and don't know which one to take...
I'm also on the pill (microgynon) and don't know if that will affect it?
I know I should probably see my doctor but I always leave feeling like my questions haven't been answered...
So should I try these medicines first or see the doctor?
I'm so confused right now >_<

Also I get a lot of heartburn/acid reflux is it bad to take gaviscon with IBS medicines?
The only way you can be sure you have IBS is to have a Lower G.I. series(Barium enema) done. You also should have your doctor do a rectal exam to make sure he/she can't feel any abnormalities. Bentyl is anti-spasmodic which helps reduce the colon spasms that cause the most of the abdominal pain and cramp sensations you get with IBS. My doctor also had me take Citrucel in the morning and in the evening to help maintain regularity and also to help reduce the extreme swings in my BM's( going from severe constipation to explosive diarrhea) and take acidophilus 2-3 times a day. Diet, reducing stress, anxiety, and depression levels help to reduce the symptoms of IBS.
As far as acid reflux medicine goes, I got much better results from Prilosec and using a digestive enzyme twice a day helps. Staying away from acidic, gassy, and spicy foods help with both IBS and acid reflux symptoms. Using a bed wedge pillow or putting your bed up on bed risers help not to get acid reflux at night. also not lying down for at least 2 hours after eating and trying not to eat for 2-3 hours before bedtime and no late night heavy meals.
After years of suffering from being chronically constipated, I finally have found a way to keep myself from getting constipated.
1) I sit on the toilet for up to 30 minutes every morning to make sure I move my bowels before going to work. I use slow deep breathing exercises to help me to move my bowels instead of straining.
2) I drink at least 64 oz. of water a day.
3) I eat 25-30 grams of fiber daily.
4) I take Citrucel in the morning and in the evening.
5) I do not allow myself to go more than 48 hours without having moved my bowels. I use a glycerin suppository to help me to go if I haven't moved my bowels within 48 hours from my last BM.
I hope these suggestions will be helpful to you.