PDA

View Full Version : Cholesterol High meds the only way??

Jasil
09-24-2013, 07:46 PM
Hi, guys/gals, I am 39 and workout 4 days a week, walk 30 min a day, and eat a diet most would call extreme. The diet has helped some, but still not where I want to be.

6'1
224 (work out atheltic build)

Diet is as follows at least 5 days a week and sensible on weekends: 1900-2100 calories.

*6-12oz grilled chicken 1/2tb olive oil
*8 egg whites 1oz salsa
*1 greek yogurt plan with 1/2 cup blueberries
*1 cup broccoli
*1 cup kale
*16oz low sodium V8
*1-2 Protein shakes with 3TB of Flax seed
*6 metamucil a day
*1 cup cooked oatmeal with Stevia
*1 very good Multi vitamin
*1 Co Q10 pill
*Lots of water, 3 cups green tea, 1 cup coffee

I do this 5 days a week no cheating! Weekends are light, but normal meals with 2-4 glasses of Merlot.

Here is my lipid profile and it's come down, but still not good:
200 Total
136 LDL
30 VLDL
34 HDL

My doctor told me to take Red Rice Yeast and see if that drops me 20 points. He had a graph showing 37 patients all with significant drops in total cholesterol specifically LDL.

Any thougths on ways to drop LDL and total cholesterol?

SoundsFamiliar
09-25-2013, 12:50 PM
My suggestions are: reduce stress, avoid trans fats, try to eat healthy foods. eg. I think fiber ought to come from homecooked foods, not from fiber additives such as Metamucil.

What worked for me: I used to have 'lipidemia' (too much fat in the blood), not quite enough to be put on chloresteral meds as my bp was not terrible (but enough for my blood donation to be refused as it had too much fat in it), so I worked on a 'clean diet' approach using healthy foods

Ininitially, a mediterranean cuisine with lots of olive oil, minimal animal products, but eventually I went all the way over to pretty much 'vegan' eating, lots of legumes instead of animal products so I was sure of getting ample protein.

sf

editted to add: I like green tea, too (6 cups/day, I make up a strong batch in the morning and drink from a thermos of it up until mid-afternoon).

yackedar
09-26-2013, 12:07 PM
Hi Jasil and welcome to the board.

Your doctor has advised you fairly wisely, but I feel he is looking at the wrong target.

Your Total Cholesterol of 200 is borderline
Your LDL of 136 is borderline
Your HDL of 34 is HIGH RISK
Your Triglyceride level of 150 is borderline

Yours ratios:
Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 5.88 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) which places you AT RISK of developing CHD within ten years
Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.250 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) - at RISK
Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 4.412 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) HIGH RISK

Personally with your TC, Trigs and LDL being borderline, and your HDL being way too low, you need to concentrate on raising that by at least 6 points and not worrying about the other three at this moment in time.

Cut down on your Omega-6 intake to balance it with the following Omega-3 intake.
EPA/DHA at 2:1 ratio totalling 1gm. In addition start taking ~500mg Pure Krill oil daily. Ensure that the Krill preparation contains =>350mg Phospholipids and =>1.5mg Astaxanthin.

Take these for three months and lipid test again.

note: Omega-6 is pro-inflammatory and Omega-3 is anti-inflammatory.

Best of luck.
Yack.