PDA

View Full Version : Another High Cholesterol Story

Linda-825
09-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Ok, I'm a mess and the doctors have succeeded in scaring me. ("Oh My God, yes it's HIGH") I have a bi-cuspid aortic valve and family history of heart issues.
Stats: 8/2012 Due to have blood work soon.
Total Cholesterol 293
HDL 55
Triglycerides 162
LDL 206

So, I know it's not good, but I can't take statins (Nor do I want to)
I have bad muscle cramps and fibromyalgia.
I'm taking Natures Sunshine Super Omega 3 - 3X day (EPA 380/DHA 190 Fish Oil 1000 mg)
Tried niacin, not only had flushing, but severe itching....thought that was a bad reaction.
Tried Red Yeast Rice-had muscle cramps (Would prob try again though)
I eat fairly good, but I'm sure I could make some improvements! Hardly any meat, lots of fruits/veggies, juicing, too many sweets, I'm sure :-) Hey I KNOW I need improvements on my diet!
I walk an hour a day.
Wondering about CoQ10? I take so many supplements trying to find help with Fibromyalgia, it's so hard to know WHAT to take for that, and cholesterol too!

Imacarbuff
10-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Well, I am kind of in the same boat with some pretty bad numbers-and particle size. I also have had problems with statins-quite a few really. But, tonight I am starting with niacin ER 500 mg and stopping the statins. Niacin has been around a long time and from what I understand no where near as toxic as statins. They say the first few weeksare the worst.

I have taken CoQ10 for more than 8 years with no problems at all and I think it should be required with statins.

Power on
10-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Cholesterol-lowering supplement
Artichoke extract May reduce total cholesterol and LDL, or "bad," cholesterol May cause gas or an allergic reaction
Barley May reduce total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol None
Beta-sitosterol (found in oral supplements and some margarines, such as Promise Activ) May reduce total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol
May cause nausea, indigestion, gas, diarrhea or constipation

May be ineffective if you take ezetimibe (Zetia), a prescription cholesterol medication

Blond psyllium (found in seed husk and products such as Metamucil) May reduce total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol May cause gas, stomach pain, diarrhea, constipation or nausea
Fish oil (found as a liquid oil and in oil-filled capsules) May reduce triglycerides
May cause a fishy aftertaste, bad breath, gas, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea

May interact with some blood-thinning medications, such as warfarin (Coumadin)

Flaxseed, ground May reduce triglycerides
May cause, gas, bloating or diarrhea

May interact with some blood-thinning medications, such as aspirin, clopidogrel (Plavix) and warfarin (Coumadin)

Garlic extract May reduce total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and triglycerides
May cause bad breath, body odor, heartburn, gas, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea

May interact with blood-thinning medications, such as warfarin (Coumadin)

Green tea extract May lower LDL cholesterol
May cause nausea, vomiting, gas or diarrhea

May interact with blood-thinning medications, such as warfarin (Coumadin)

Oat bran (found in oatmeal and whole oats) May reduce total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol May cause gas or bloating
Sitostanol (found in oral supplements and some margarines, such as Benecol) May reduce total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol May cause diarrhea

I have tried all the above also red rice yeast and none of them would lower my numbers below 200 total I am 240 to 260 without any meds or supplements

So sad but on Crestor 5 mg ever other day I get 140 to 160 I just don't get it .

rainbowsrock
10-03-2013, 03:29 AM
I have started to wonder about statins. I knew about the muscle problems but have recently read about some statins causing memory loss

I dropped from 40mg Simvastatin to 20mg after reading about the interaction between that and Amlodipene, which I'm on for blood pressure. Am waiting for results of a blood test to see if my cholesterol has risen as a result
I worry as my sister is on 80mg of Simvastatin

Anyways, wanted to say I agree Co Q10 should be prescribed along with Statins

I did try Niacin many moons ago and couldn't cope with the flush

When I did aqua aerobics I would get a horrible feeling in my leg muscles and have to stop and rub them...now I wonder if it was the statin

Voxx976
10-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Linda posted:
So, I know it's not good, but I can't take statins (Nor do I want to)
I have bad muscle cramps and fibromyalgia.

Have you TRIED taking a statin?
Which one, what dosage, what results?

Imacarbuff
10-03-2013, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE=rainbowsrock;

I did try Niacin many moons ago and couldn't cope with the flush

When I did aqua aerobics I would get a horrible feeling in my leg muscles and have to stop and rub them...now I wonder if it was the statin[/QUOTE]

Perhaps a different type of niacin would help. I just started niacin for the first time ever last night. My Dr. never offered any advice on starting-nor did the pharmacy -so I took 500 mg of niacin ER. But, I did take an 80mg aspirin 30 minutes prior with about 1 cup of 1% milk and a small snack. I ate 1 cup of applesauce then took the niacin with a glass of water. This was just before time for bed. I either did not flush or fell asleep before it hit.

Everyone is different-but statins-even cutting down to 10mg, really bothered my legs. But, some people do OK with them if they are on the right dose.