PDA

View Full Version : Cymbalta to hell

rebound
10-02-2013, 11:39 PM
My Cymbalta withdrawal lasted almost 6 months and I experienced a host of horrors which I've listed to reassure you that you are not insane! That you will come to the end! That you do not have a brain injury!

1. Brain Zaps
2. A month long headache
3. Hearing my eyes move
4. Moving my head and waiting for brain to follow
5. Living in a fog
6. Blurred vision
7. Inability to organise
8. Inability to be rational
9. Swinging from tears to anger
10. Frequent depression
Basically a severe inability to function! I sought the help of 3 GP's which was useless, they were useless. I was told it was impossible to have these symptoms for so long... hellooo I'm here idiot! Some relief did come from a psychiatrist, although he couldn't prescribe anything he did reassure me that it was indeed possible to experience these symptoms for so long and the reason, an extremely slow metabolism. So hang in there. :)

lenvegas
10-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Hi, did you slowly taper down your dose or did you just stop? They say that if you just stop then you will experience the discontinuation syndrome from hell, such as you describe. I believe that Cymbalta, an SNRI and SSRI such as Prozak and Paxil are dangerous because they all change the brain chemistry in the way they affect seratonin levels and in cases such as yours even a withdrawal from valium or xanax would not be as severe. I have been in the mental health system for many years and I have never met anyone who has not had complications or has lived happily ever after taking these types of psycho active drugs. Glad you are OK now....

rebound
10-18-2013, 10:55 PM
Hi, did you slowly taper down your dose or did you just stop? They say that if you just stop then you will experience the discontinuation syndrome from hell, such as you describe. I believe that Cymbalta, an SNRI and SSRI such as Prozak and Paxil are dangerous because they all change the brain chemistry in the way they affect seratonin levels and in cases such as yours even a withdrawal from valium or xanax would not be as severe. I have been in the mental health system for many years and I have never met anyone who has not had complications or has lived happily ever after taking these types of psycho active drugs. Glad you are OK now....

Hi and thanks for your interest :)
I didn't taper I was at the max dose of 120mg and started experiencing the side effects previously listed. When I consulted the psychiatrist he was of the opinion that although 120mgs is the max dose it was an overdose for me, too much for me to metabolise hence the abrupt cessation.
I'd like to add that although the severe symptoms have passed I still feel that my brain is in a fog and the ability to organise is a daily struggle. I'm in fear that this will not pass but keep living in hope, any insight to offer?
Eagerly looking forward to your reply or input from other's experiences of this poison.

lenvegas
10-19-2013, 07:14 AM
Hi and thanks for your interest :)
I didn't taper I was at the max dose of 120mg and started experiencing the side effects previously listed. When I consulted the psychiatrist he was of the opinion that although 120mgs is the max dose it was an overdose for me, too much for me to metabolise hence the abrupt cessation.
I'd like to add that although the severe symptoms have passed I still feel that my brain is in a fog and the ability to organise is a daily struggle. I'm in fear that this will not pass but keep living in hope, any insight to offer?
Eagerly looking forward to your reply or input from other's experiences of this poison.

Hi, I know how you feel and eventually your brain will get back to normal. I have some recommendations that may help you out.....First, get plenty of exercise ie. long walks, hiking, bike riding etc as exercise will lift your mood and improve blood circulation in the brain. I take a few supplements that keep my brain clear and have an anti depressive effect. They are L Glutamine and 5HTP and can be purchased at any health food store. I think taking a multi vitamin/mineral tablet is also very important to enhance your nutrition Which is essential for proper brain function. Hope this info helps you out......

rebound
10-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Thanks for your reply it's extremely appreciated :)
I've been taking omega 3 fish oil and a B complex but will incorporate what you've suggested too. I'm assuming you too were once on Cymbalta, how long did it take before your withdrawal horror stopped? I'm aware that it is different for everyone.

lenvegas
10-20-2013, 07:21 AM
Hi, Among other drugs I took Cymbalta for about a year and went cold turkey although I took about half the dose you did. I took about half the dosage you did but it just stopped working for me. I had bad withdrawal as you did and it took a few months before my brain cleared up. Today I take no drugs as everyday I do endurance training and take supplements to keep from going over the edge. I really think we are more resilient than we think we are and although these new psychiatric drugs help many people, I think they actually hurt many people and put them in an even worse place. Hope you get better soon....

rebound
10-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Hi, Among other drugs I took Cymbalta for about a year and went cold turkey although I took about half the dose you did. I took about half the dosage you did but it just stopped working for me. I had bad withdrawal as you did and it took a few months before my brain cleared up. Today I take no drugs as everyday I do endurance training and take supplements to keep from going over the edge. I really think we are more resilient than we think we are and although these new psychiatric drugs help many people, I think they actually hurt many people and put them in an even worse place. Hope you get better soon....
Yes totally agree re meds! I'm gradually changing my approach to depression and believe exercise and meditation may be the key to keeping the darkness from the door. Apart from my own regime I would like to participate in social groups such as Yoga when I feel my brain is able to conduct itself in an acceptable manner lol. At the moment I find it difficult to track verbal conversations, this is slowly improving. For the interim it's of some comfort to be able to use this platform and know that I'm not alone... Cheers :)

Ladylass
10-21-2013, 12:27 AM
I too am on 3rd week of Cymbalta withdrawal and posted to another lady last eve under 'the depression forum' I felt sooo sorry for her and it took me hours to post on here as I could not recall my id or password for this board >brain fog -visual focus ,wobbly walking ,zaps and whossy rock sound in my head -the nausea was wicked and feeling sooo weak - My blood pressure dropped to 60/40 on 2 occassions but my Dr is attentive to me , I was on a very tiny dose of only 20 mg for 2 years and have been weaning to about half for over 2 more weeks (the Dr has me spill off half the capsule --ELI lILY The drug maker does not recommend this however))) Anyhow I have taken none in last 4 days and I am somewhat improving -still unbalanced -the visual is the worst and I quit driving till it clears up. I decided to come off this medicine because it was messing up my bladder -always a feeling of irritation or UTI -I am now finding out becuse of this med my bladder was not emptying fully plus awful constipation and I am a raw green food addict:) Well this at present is the only joy Im feeling -normal bowel and bladder function again. I wish I had answers for you But together we can support each other getting through this maze -from what i have read it does not seem to matter what dose strenth we took as we all are feeling the same nasty symptoms --Keep us posted and 'one hour at a time' we will get there !!!!!

rebound
10-22-2013, 06:28 AM
I too am on 3rd week of Cymbalta withdrawal and posted to another lady last eve under 'the depression forum' I felt sooo sorry for her and it took me hours to post on here as I could not recall my id or password for this board >brain fog -visual focus ,wobbly walking ,zaps and whossy rock sound in my head -the nausea was wicked and feeling sooo weak - My blood pressure dropped to 60/40 on 2 occassions but my Dr is attentive to me , I was on a very tiny dose of only 20 mg for 2 years and have been weaning to about half for over 2 more weeks (the Dr has me spill off half the capsule --ELI lILY The drug maker does not recommend this however))) Anyhow I have taken none in last 4 days and I am somewhat improving -still unbalanced -the visual is the worst and I quit driving till it clears up. I decided to come off this medicine because it was messing up my bladder -always a feeling of irritation or UTI -I am now finding out becuse of this med my bladder was not emptying fully plus awful constipation and I am a raw green food addict:) Well this at present is the only joy Im feeling -normal bowel and bladder function again. I wish I had answers for you But together we can support each other getting through this maze -from what i have read it does not seem to matter what dose strenth we took as we all are feeling the same nasty symptoms --Keep us posted and 'one hour at a time' we will get there !!!!!
Hi Ladylass thanks for your input :)
If there was an action against Eli Illy I'd be top of the list! There are so many unfortunate people experiencing the same horrors whilst trying to free themselves from this poison. Never have I had to endure such torment for such a long period whilst ceasing any medication. I was in denial at first that this chemical cocktail could be responsible for robbing me of the best part of a year, I really thought I'd had a stroke or similar until searching the net revealed other victims! Medical professionals I'd consulted, including MD's to Chemists told me 'no' it can't be the medication it's not possible-hellooo I'm here! I like to think one week at a time, it's more realistic, my improvement has been very slow but thankfully consistent as will be yours and yes, we will get there! Looking forward to hearing more from you...

Ladylass
10-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Well agree I would join the list with you --The other lady that posted recently has not posted back and I sure hope she is OK . Tomorrow will be 7 days completely off it for me --Yes I am better related to the weakness low B/P's and nausea -however my sleep pattern is more like a coma 12 -14 hours and the visual is still sooo awful making my pace and daily go about life miserable and scary> like is this permanent neuro damage.

How are you doing and at what stage of withdrawel and symptoms? Tomorrow I am calling Eli Lilly not in an angry manner but to ask if eventually I will recover fully from these symptoms etc. will post soon again and hugs and thoughts to you and all who replied to us

rebound
10-23-2013, 05:10 AM
Well agree I would join the list with you --The other lady that posted recently has not posted back and I sure hope she is OK . Tomorrow will be 7 days completely off it for me --Yes I am better related to the weakness low B/P's and nausea -however my sleep pattern is more like a coma 12 -14 hours and the visual is still sooo awful making my pace and daily go about life miserable and scary> like is this permanent neuro damage.

How are you doing and at what stage of withdrawel and symptoms? Tomorrow I am calling Eli Lilly not in an angry manner but to ask if eventually I will recover fully from these symptoms etc. will post soon again and hugs and thoughts to you and all who replied to us

rebound
10-23-2013, 05:25 AM
Hi glad you replied it's of some comfort to know you're not alone and can converse with someone who understands :)
It's impossible to describe this to anyone who hasn't experienced it.

My eyesight is better at night in artificial light but has improved greatly to what it was in the sun. I'm still a little foggy and the struggle to stay on track when I need to organise things still prevails but all of the above has improved greatly compared to how I was initially. I'm now looking at 6 months but the worst is definitely over. Please don't be discouraged by my lengthy experience as it's different for everyone! I should add that I'm comfortable driving now whereas I was terrified before.

Although the road to recovery has been slow I'm confident that a complete recovery is insight so hang in there...

Good luck with contacting the company, I'll be surprised if they admit that there product would cause such extreme side effects as to do so would leave them open for litigation hey but you never know! I'm looking forward to hear from you to see what their response was... Chet soon :)

Ladylass
10-23-2013, 11:16 PM
Hello again - Today was better kinda getting a little confidence back (not holding on to the stair rail so much ) Im still getting the zappy eye movements and total scatter brain fog. 7 days off and to think I was only on such a tiny dose (My Dr telling me its doing nothing for me at this 20 mg dose just increase or stop it )ohh be Geysus little did i know :) I called E.L someone is supposed to call me back When ? hmmmm its now 10 hrs later . BTW I found a web site called Cymbalta withdrawal Forum - excellent info and postings on there. Re to your concentration I have no doubts this medication has misdirected our neuro paths but ehhh we won"t give up the fight :) Again thanks for your postings . Today I told my husband been drunk is far more fun than this lol

Ladylass
10-29-2013, 01:00 AM
Just a wee update - Day 12 off this med -doing better -the vertigo -tiredness and headache are still troublesome. E.L noted my complaints related to the med side effects while I was taking it and the withdrawal (she said no documentation on their files of anyone having permanent ill effects ) Tomorrow I see my Dr for lab work and may ask for vit b 12 shots for a few months.