PDA

View Full Version : Slippery Elm helps!

Lady221
10-30-2013, 05:29 AM
I have had IBS-D for 2 years. Nothing I have tried has helped. I finally tried slippery elm (375mg 2x a day) and my horrible cramps are gone. I am so happy about this, that I had to post here. Dr's are clueless about it. I can't skip a day or the cramps will come back. Just Google "slippery elm and IBS" and you will see several articles on it. It has been a lifesaver. :)

solofelix
10-30-2013, 08:05 AM
Glad to hear you have found something helpful.
Quite often the simplest of things help the most, long may it continue,

Solofelix.

Lady221
10-30-2013, 08:28 AM
Thanks so much. I just want people to be aware that this can possibly help them too.

flipfleury
11-03-2013, 06:57 PM
I have had IBS-D for 2 years. Nothing I have tried has helped. I finally tried slippery elm (375mg 2x a day) and my horrible cramps are gone. I am so happy about this, that I had to post here. Dr's are clueless about it. I can't skip a day or the cramps will come back. Just Google "slippery elm and IBS" and you will see several articles on it. It has been a lifesaver. :)

Glad to hear it helps you for your IBS-D. For those of you have IBS-C, slippery elm can help with relieving your constipation and help you to maintain regularity.

Lady221
11-03-2013, 07:03 PM
I have not wanted to try Bentyl. I am so happy this works. Try this first my friends :)

Bridgett1965
11-04-2013, 02:30 PM
I take Slippery Elm 2 capsules 400 mg each twice a day. I also take Ginger Root twice a day as well as a teaspoon of Heather's tummy fiber twice a day. I even go as far as eating an Activea yogurt every day.

While I think the combo is helping, it doesn't "work" for me. I still have so many issues. However, I know it helps since the day after I miss my regimine I am a mess!! I have dealt with this IBS-D for well over 20 years now! Along with this I have developed panic and anxiety disorders which bring on a whole new set of symptoms! My job has been in jeopardy and even though I want out of my current job I am "afraid" to find another as I fear they will not understand either.

This has been a never ending battle of tests and trials. Give this up. Try that. See what might be trigger foods. Although I give up some things I love and then just have have it and I get no ill effects! I think oh wow I can eat that!! Then the next time WHAM I'm sicker then a dog!!!

Good luck to you lady! I hope the slippery elm works for you. I have also taken the Bentyl but it didn't control it either. I wish you all the best!!

Lady221
11-04-2013, 04:03 PM
I take Slippery Elm 2 capsules 400 mg each twice a day. I also take Ginger Root twice a day as well as a teaspoon of Heather's tummy fiber twice a day. I even go as far as eating an Activea yogurt every day.

While I think the combo is helping, it doesn't "work" for me. I still have so many issues. However, I know it helps since the day after I miss my regimine I am a mess!! I have dealt with this IBS-D for well over 20 years now! Along with this I have developed panic and anxiety disorders which bring on a whole new set of symptoms! My job has been in jeopardy and even though I want out of my current job I am "afraid" to find another as I fear they will not understand either.

This has been a never ending battle of tests and trials. Give this up. Try that. See what might be trigger foods. Although I give up some things I love and then just have have it and I get no ill effects! I think oh wow I can eat that!! Then the next time WHAM I'm sicker then a dog!!!

Good luck to you lady! I hope the slippery elm works for you. I have also taken the Bentyl but it didn't control it either. I wish you all the best!!

It's a terrible disease and you just never know. One day you can be great and the next wham! I've been doing great on it. Then the other day I took 2 Tylenol. It KILLED me. I cannot take Advil or Tylenol, haven't tried aspirin yet. Too afraid. Best to you too!

Socallady
11-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Have you tried Paxil?I have heard that it can help.

Lady221
11-05-2013, 12:12 PM
No I haven't. I really wanted to stay away from medications if at all possible.

Socallady
11-05-2013, 12:17 PM
I to wanted to stay away from Paxil too,however I could not take getting up every night around 2:30 in pain. I am willing to try it. Been on it for two weeks it takes three weeks to work.

Lady221
11-05-2013, 12:51 PM
I to wanted to stay away from Paxil too,however I could not take getting up every night around 2:30 in pain. I am willing to try it. Been on it for two weeks it takes three weeks to work.

Good to know. I know that pain... UGH

vegea
11-24-2013, 05:58 PM
does slippery elm also help with gas?

Lady221
11-24-2013, 06:14 PM
does slippery elm also help with gas?

I don't have gas and those painful cramps when taking it. As far as diarrhea, it has helped maybe 50% better. I have to take it 2x a day. If I forget, I get the cramping/gas back again.

Give it a try. It can't hurt. It started helping after a few days. Best of luck to you.

Socallady
11-24-2013, 10:13 PM
Been on Paxil for one month for IBS now.It is working great.No getting up all night for trips to the bathroom.worth trying.