PDA

View Full Version : seizure control with Depo Provera

Armywife94
11-13-2013, 08:21 AM
Hello, I am new to this site. I have a 17yr old daughter who began having seizures 2 1/2 yrs ago. Her first seizure (grand mal) happened to be the day after she started her monthly cycle, her second the last day and the third two weeks later (ovulation). Fast forward to today.... she is on Keppra and Vimpat. She has not had a grand mal since, but continues to have auras especially around her cycle, specifically during the 3-4 days prior to the start. I finally found a doctor that listened to us about the pattern of auras and her cycle. We tried Loestrin pills last summer. They made her sick to her stomach and after a week she had had enough. Her neurologist prescribed Diamox to be taken the week prior to her cycle. We have not tried that mainly because she had an alerigic reaction to another seizure medicine (trying to find the right cocktail) and I was afraid to add a third drug. So... they recommended the Depo Provera shot. My question: Are any of you teens, young women who are on it? Do you believe it helps with your seizures and/or auras? How long have you been on it? How long should you stay on it? Were you told of any risks coming off the shot when you decide too (wanting to have children one day), specifically seizures returning or becoming more frequent? Do any of you take Diamox before your cycle? If so, does it seem to help? I'm trying to determine the best route, which is the lesser of two evils so to speak. She'll be headed off to college soon, so I will have little involvement in her medical care and don't want to start her on another medication that may cause more problems down the road. Appreciate your time and responses. Apologize for the long post!:):