PDA

View Full Version : I would love thoughts or advice!!

kadejc7
11-16-2013, 03:17 AM
I have been diagnosed with severe ibs and possible lazy stomach( stomach emptying test to be done Monday). I wake up after 4-6 hours of sleep, 2-4 times a week, in horrorible pain. My upper right abdominal area from the xiphoid process to the right swells and bloats and becomes a very painful pressure. The docs are assuring me it is not an organ (had my gallbladder out in June). This gaseous pain happens spuraticly and seems to have no rhyme or reason. Gas x and fenel teas make it worse. Mint seems to help some as does heat. This same spot in tender 24/7, nothing stops the tenderness . I would love to hear from anyone with a similar experience ! My GI and GP both say they are stumped as to why it hurts only there.

STLouisgal
11-16-2013, 06:01 AM
Did this all start or worsen after your gallbladder surgery? Sometimes gallbladder removal can make things worse. Have you had any imaging tests? You don't want to overdo CT scans (a lot of radiation) but some sort of imaging may be needed to figure this out.

kadejc7
11-16-2013, 05:03 PM
Hi there! This gas pain that wake me up began after the surgery but the surgeon said it was not related to operation and sent me to a GI. I have had an upper Gi scope , colonoscopy, small bowel follow through, a cat scan and bloowork a couple times. All of the test showed no abnormalities other than barrets esophogus and a hiatal hernia. This pain is exhausting and the tenderness is very bothersome.

STLouisgal
11-17-2013, 07:14 AM
I wish I had something useful to offer but I don't. I've had bowel problems (as well as other problems) brought on by surgery (an unwarranted hysterectomy). The gynecologist / surgeon who'd been my gyn for 20 years dismissed the problems as unrelated to surgery and even refused to see me. And then the first words out of the GI doctor's mouth were "the surgery didn't cause this." Huh?? It all started almost immediately post-op and I'd NEVER had bowel problems before the surgery.

Surgeons don't want to implicate themselves as having caused a surgical complication or consequence (especially if the consequence is a risk of that surgery and they failed to tell you about it beforehand).

I hope you get some answers and relief from this pain!

kadejc7
11-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Thank you for the kind words!I am not sure where to turn anymore! Who do I see if the GI and GP say they do not know? I have the stomach empty test tomorrow... possible that will show something but I am not to optimistic. My IBS symptoms are well...probably just IBS. I did not have a great diet before all this so I think I had IBS and a failing gallbladder. But thinking back I never woke up with this gas pain before the operation. If it is from gas. I am just so frustrated. On top of the issues with my guts I have been seeing a rhumy for the begining stages of an autoimmune disease. Chron's would explain so much but I have no signs of chron's at all. Instead I apparently have lots of little things that alone are not awful but piled together they make things hard. Can I ask what happened to cause your issues after surgery? Was it the hysterectomy itself? Thanks for letting me vent!

STLouisgal
11-17-2013, 01:18 PM
It really is frustrating when you don't know where to turn / who to see. I'm at the same point although there are some more tests I could have, small bowel follow through being the next one he recommends. I'm just not sure I want to go through more poking and prodding when it probably won't show anything anyway. But unlike you, I don't have pain. I know adhesions (scar tissue) can sometimes cause pain but it doesn't seem like your pain would be that bad if that was the problem.

Could you possibly have pancreatitis? Gallstones are a common cause of pancreatitis.

The hysterectomy caused my problems but I'm not sure what happened. I had fairly severe diarrhea (sorry if TMI) for about 9 months post-op and then it gradually improved but it's been over 7 years and I'm still not close to being "normal." The GI doctor kept saying he thought it was a problem with my pancreas (due to fat malabsorption / oily BM's) and I told him that didn't make sense to me because the hysterectomy would have been much more apt to affect my bowels, not my pancreas. And I don't typically have pain. Pancreatitis is usually very painful. I also asked to be tested for Celiac since surgery can trigger Celiac. At this point, Celiac and a pancreas abnormality have been ruled out. I often wonder if I had a hospital acquired infection such as c. diff (clostridium difficile) and the infection and toxins it creates have left me with permanent damage to my bowels.

Let me know what you find out from the stomach empty test.