PDA

View Full Version : Mental fog, excessive yawning, heart palpitatons

Mshepard83
12-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Hello, I have been having this problem for several years of my life now, and every time I see my doctor about it, it never gets me anywhere. I am constantly in a mental fog, almost like I am disconnected from reality, and I yawn constantly; I would say I yawn significantly more often than most people. It doesn't matter how much sleep I get. In fact, I regularly sleep more than 8 hours / night. I feel tired and I have absolutely no energy. As for my exercise routine, every couple of weeks I will start exercising at least 30 min/day; this will last for a week or so, but it doesn't help me feel energetic through the day (sometimes, it actually makes me feel worse). Furthermore, I get these heart palpitations; sometimes they last a long time. Once, they lasted non-stop for an hour. I had an EKG done some time ago, and it was normal. My dr. said it was probably because of caffeine (I only drink alcohol very occasionally) so I stopped drinking caffeine entirely for a couple of weeks, but I still got them sometimes. Now I drink half-caff coffee, usually about 3 cups / day. No matter how I adjust my caffeine intake, my symptoms remain the same. My dr. tested my blood, and everything came back normal. My thyroid has a cluster of nodules on it, which I had biopsied, and they were benign; otherwise, there is nothing out of the ordinary with my thyroid in the blood tests. My dr. has me on ambien because it sometimes takes me a while to fall asleep (I don't wake up through the night, and I never sleep less than 8 hrs.) The ambien does not help either. I do not know what else to do, and I don't think my dr. does either, but I will keep going back. Does anyone else have any similar experiences? Thank you very much for your time.

midwest1
12-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Doctors frequently order the worst set of thyroid tests, don't order enough of them, and/or misinterpret the ones they do order.

I strongly urge you to get a copy of your latest thyroid labs and post the results with their lab ranges on the board for someone to help you understand what they mean. You have such classic symptoms that, when coupled with those nodules, almost scream that your MD is just missing it.

Titchou
12-21-2013, 06:04 AM
I second that suggestion. If that doesn't pan out to be thyroid related, a few other suggestions.

A large number of women have mitral valve prolapse which causes the palpitations. It is dxed by an echocardiogram. A 24 hour holter monitor might also be helpful. Caffeine does aggravate it as does sudafed. Also, perimenopause can cause the heart palps as well.

The brain fog is often associated with allergies. And you don't have to have watery eyes, sneezing, etc to have allergies.

Excessive yawning is also a symptom of asthma.

Just some suggestions to check out.

Mshepard83
12-21-2013, 10:22 AM
Thank you very much, I will go back and ask him to check out the thyroid again and these other possibilities. I appreciate your input! :)

ninal
12-26-2013, 07:55 PM
Have they ever tested your iron levels? Last time I had really low iron, I experienced the brain fog, tiredness, heart flutters and mood swings. Some days I couldnt even muster up the energy to get out of bed, I was anxious.

Never hurts to try it out! A simple blood draw...and they might check your vitamin d as well.

Not saying thats it..but a few things sound similar!

Row15577
12-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Have you ever been tested for sleep apnea? May be worth looking into. Good luck to you.