PDA

View Full Version : IBS & what has worked for me

JCtoo
01-23-2014, 05:20 PM
I want to give back to this forum because it has been a blessing to me, namely getting my IBS under control.

It may not help everyone but I found that a combination of taking Prilosec and most importantly the generic form of Imodium, (Loperamide), has stopped my daily frequent episodes of uncontrollable diarrhea that I've had for many years. For those of you not familiar with Loperamide Hydrochloride it slows the digestive process of the bowel thereby eliminating the urge to go constantly if you have IBS.

I started with 2 tablets of 2 mg after a morning BM the first day and then 1 tablet after a BM each day since then, I'm going on 3 weeks now with normal BM's and no urge to go at all hours of the day.

My life is now back to normal and I can eat out and be gone for the entire day without worrying whether I can find a restroom, as you know it's so embarrassing to have to have to go an hour after you eat no matter where you are!

I hope this helps some of you with IBS, it was such a simple solution to a problem I've had for years!

Bridgett1965
01-27-2014, 10:42 AM
Hi JCtoo. Glad to hear that you have found a combination of things that have worked for you. I am a sufferer of over 20 years, and still cannot get the right combination of anything that seems to work for me. It's not even the constant need of a bathroom anymore but along with that it's feeling sick to my stomach all the time and gassy too. It's been a horrible ride that is for sure over the past 20 years.
I have a question for you. I too, take immodium but only if I am heading out somewhere I know I will not have access to a bathroom. However, it doesn't seem to control "things" for the entire day and the following day seem to have severe cramps and "potty's". You say you have normal BM now. You still take an immodium after a bm every day? And effects from that? Constipation? Cramps? Sorry, just curious is all. In 20 years I have just about tried everything and asked anything.
All the best to you! Glad that you have normalcy again in your life. One day I can only hope for that too!!!

primetimer 44
02-09-2014, 09:24 AM
I have had IBS for over 40 years. Every time I go someplace, the first thing I do is find out where the restroom is located. I couldn't go away without taking Imodium or generic Imodium. I have tried prescription drugs but Imodium works better. Sometimes Imodium doesn't work then I really have a problem. I would give anything for the right combination of pills to stop this problem.

supergirl572
02-11-2014, 07:57 AM
Hi everyone. I've always had pretty bad tummy troubles but when I had my gallbladder removed, it got much worse. Within a few bites of eating, I was running for the bathroom. My stomach was very acidic. And the bloating and gas?? Horrible! The one thing that has gotten me back to living a normal life and having normal BM's is to take fiber pills, at a doctors recommendation.

When I first started because my stomach was so bad, I took 3 pills in the AM and 3 pills in the PM. Now I just take 2 and 2, religiously.

Fiber is not a "medicine" per se so it doesn't affect other medications BUT do not take fiber pills within an hour of other medications because it does bind everything in your stomach and intestines and other medications may get caught up in it and not work properly.

I buy a large bottle that I get at my local warehouse club.

This is what has worked for me. Hopefully, it will help someone else too. :)

Penguinboy55
03-01-2014, 05:02 AM
Nice to hear you have found a solution and thanks for sharing it. My problem is the opposite. I have constipation instead, what I did to stop it was simply taking Fybogel ( fiber supplement) i still have abdominal cramps but they go away once I have a bowel movement.

k742
03-03-2014, 04:08 PM
Glad to hear you've found something to work for you!

When I was first diagnosed, it was iBS-D...seemed like as soon as I ate a bite if anything I'd have to run to the bathroom. After some time, I got it under control and would only have flare ups when I ate really unhealthy foods or really large quantities

Now I seem to be at the opposite end of the spectrum - horrible constipation, including such incredible gas and pressure that I often look 3 months pregnant! It's awful and I would love to find a natural remedy to this. I've tried the Benefiber supplements, and I try to stay away from lots of breads and junky foods, and I try to eat lots of fruit and veggies, but still I get the bloating and pain (pain could be from a combination of things, but I've noticed the pressure amplifies it).