PDA

View Full Version : Cannot finish a bowel movement.

Jennyyy
02-02-2014, 03:01 PM
Hi.

I have had constipation problems for most of my life, although diet has usually helped quite a bit. For the last few months though, things have gotten consistently bad.

When I pass a bowel, there will only be one medium-sized stool. At the end of it, my rectum seems to contract. It even contracts a bit while I'm trying to pass this stool. Anyways, once it's out and I wipe, I am left with a mushy mess. I have to wipe infinitely or take a shower. My abdomen will often hurt a lot after this too.

I know there is stool left inside me. Sometimes I will try to push after, and very small soft pieces will come out. These pieces seem to never end. Sometimes 30 mins after my initial bowel movement, I will feel like I have to go again, but I just get a bunch of these little small pieces, and it still won't wipe clean.

I have been modifying my diet--so far it is not helping. I am very stressed and have a lot of anxiety. And now it seems like every time I try to go, I cannot stop thinking about relaxing, and therefore cannot relax.

I can't figure out if this is a stress problem, a diet problem, or a more serious problem. I just feel gross, and it makes me feel depressed.

Does anyone else have this problem? Was there anything that helped you?

ladybud
02-03-2014, 12:55 AM
I thought I had irritable bowel syndrome for years, with terrible constipation and gas. Then at 62, found out I was gluten intolerant. After eliminating gluten, my constipation went away. It is something to consider. But you also may just need more fiber, more water, more exercise or a fiber supplement daily. I would try those things first, and if no help, check out the info on gluten intolerance. It can cause pain too from cramping in the bowel.

Jennyyy
02-03-2014, 05:42 PM
I don't eat gluten, as it does cause me depression/brain fog problems. I've never been diagnosed, but I avoid gluten as if I'm celiac (my mom is celiac). I have just started incorporating flax into my diet, so I'll keep trying that. I've also been working more on relaxing. I could always use more exercise. Thanks.

ladybud
02-03-2014, 07:58 PM
You might consider getting some food allergy testing done. Since you seem sensitive to gluten, you may also have dairy or other food allergies affecting your GI tract. This may seem a little graphic, but when you have to have a BM, spread your bottom cheeks wide then sit down so the seat holds them apart. That will minimize the clean-up afterward if the stool is very soft or mushy. And keep a box of wet wipes at the toilet for when dry paper doesn't do the job.

Jennyyy
02-03-2014, 09:04 PM
I probably should have provided more info when I posted. I have had allergy tests done. I don't eat dairy, among many other things.

Although I think I do need to increase my fiber, I suspect not being able to relax has a lot to do with it. I have started FODMAPs and am eating flax.

Has anyone had any problems like this related specifically to stress and not being able to relax your rectum?