PDA

View Full Version : I thought I was healthy now 40mg statin daily!!

budddddy
02-09-2014, 11:55 AM
I am 47 Caucasian 5ft 8 weigh 184lbs and thought I was healthy. But I got some lab work done and now I am 40mg atorvastatin.

Lipid panel was
Trig 115
Ldl 161
Hdl 67
Cholesterol total 251

Doctor put me on 40mg atorvastatin.

MOM has me taking L-arginine 500mg and 2 pills of ACES + Zn (vitamins a,c,e plus selenium and zinc)

Joints are in pain so I added Bayer aspirin 81mg.

Reading the board looks like my diet needs work.Want to get off statins!
Little to no white bread or white rice or potatoes
No soda

EAT more oatmeal and fruits and vegetables.

Question- why 40mg? Should I add fish oil? Also doc doesn't know about arginine and vitamins and Bayer.

I am not wincing in pain or anything from the joint pain.just feel like I have these new nagging injuries all the sudden. I play racquetball 2 times a week and I feel like joints have been playing more like 5 times a week.

I have always sweated a TON and felt like something was wrong with me.

Also my eye sight has been going but I am at that age.

Thanks in advance for any advice thrown my way.

Dottydog
02-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Did you consider just using these results as a motivation for improving your lifestyle/diet. It sounds as if you get lots of intense exercise but don't think your diet is good. Statins are amazing but they are drugs and doing without them is probably going to be better than taking them....if you can get the right blood result. I may not be the best responder as I did great on them for quite a long time but then had side effects but I have lost weight, increased the intensity of my exercise and improved my whole outlook since stopping....and my bloods are nearly acceptable now. My levels are genetic so I will only ever be at the top end of acceptable but that, plus a better lifestyle, more energy and less fatigue has helped lower my risks.

rainbowsrock
02-09-2014, 02:26 PM
In some people your body can make too much cholesterol, apart from what you eat

Statins can cause muscle pains, and I would suggest Co Enzyme Q10 for that

Eating oily fish is always a good idea

budddddy
02-10-2014, 01:07 PM
I never saw my doc after getting my lab work done he called me the next day with results and told me the lab tests results were "way too high and to immediately give him my pharmacy info" so i didn't think there was a Plan B.

after reading up on everything I would of went the healthy route if he said "quit eating this and take these vitamins and exercise more and if you get a high test in 6months we go the statin route"!!

i figured i was in bad shape when he called and needed the liptor asap.

I just ordered the COenzy Q10 and fish oil now.

Its in the mail!!!

So statins age your body!? Best to get off them ASAP everyone agree?

Dottydog
02-10-2014, 01:30 PM
I've only converted one of those figures, the total, from the American to the uk measurement and it comes in at 6.4 here which is not crazy high at all. It is high, they recommend getting below 5, but it isn't something I would expect my doctor to fly into such a drama about without even trying a lifestyle change. A colleague of mine just had a reading of 7.9, which is over 300, and he is doing a lifestyle change and retest in 3 months.
I would want to meet my doctor face to face to discuss this not just have a phone call and prescription. It is too easy to just pop a pill and hope you are one of the ones who doesn't get side effect when you may not need the drug at all, just a change to your diet and exercise.

rudiraven
02-10-2014, 03:32 PM
I don't think your numbers are sufficiently "out of whack" to be on statins. Your HDL is great at 67! Just cut back on the carbs, eat lean cuts of meat and continue to exercise. I don't think your doctor is up to speed. You might want to do some more research. Check out Dr. Graveline. He's a former astronaut and flight surgeon and has lots of info on cholesterol and statin drugs. I wish you well :-)

budddddy
02-11-2014, 11:03 AM
yeah man i am with you guys i should of gone the healthy route. i will call him and schedule another appt.

the statin and joint pain is no joke. stuff(1 little toe, one knee, one knee cap) that complained 5min a month are inflamed and complaining every morning probably each 1 hour at a minimum. people asking me if i have gout in the hallway.

so after rball last night joints were all talking to eachother and 5min on my neighbors VAPORIZER with some maryjane took care of all that. Including the headache (you know the naggin dehydrated type of headache even tho i had plenty of water)

also when i sleep i feel like i can feel my blood running thru my veins. like its just a lil warmer. in a pumping fashion. like its slowly squirting or oozing thru my veins.

so when i call my doc i tell him my ratio isnt that bad and i want to stop the statins? what is the ratio chart everyone goes by. and what is mine?

we take the trig number and the ldl number and come up with some number and look at the range. anyone know what i am talking about? can't find the message that had details on this. i think it was very old from 2005 or 2007.

budddddy
02-11-2014, 12:15 PM
man i am getting confused. so this article says ratio goal is less then 5 and optimun is 3.5.

well guess what i got a 3.74

ratio numbers are tc=251 div by hdl=67 that leaves me with a ratio of 3.74

hmmm article is from 2007. my friend say the accepted Chol #'s changed recently. maybe to sell more rx's?

CurrencyT
02-11-2014, 12:18 PM
+1 for the person who suggested fish oil!

Dottydog
02-11-2014, 12:41 PM
You need to talk to your doctor face to face as I think you are mixing up the American and British numbering system. There are converters online, that's how I converted yours to a number I understand.

Vincent11
03-31-2014, 10:15 AM
It's downright eery how similar to me you sound in your initial post. I'm 46, Caucastion, 5'7, 195lbs (I feel like I don't look that heavy), and thought I was healthy. Just got prescribed 40mg also. Recently had shoulder joint pain so bad it interfered with sleep. I don't sweat much, however. My eye sight is also just showing signs of decline and I just started wearing a mild prescription glasses, but that seems to be expected at our age.

My shoulder pain was diagnosed as a nerve impingement. Have you asked your doctor about that? When you describe feeling warm blood flowing, that sounds very similar to how my impinged nerve has felt at times. Is it primarily in the areas where you have the pain?

Frodosdojo
06-04-2014, 10:49 PM
I also recommend mega krill oil and to not take statins. The truth is starting to come about them. Doctors push them all day long.

Homeflash
06-05-2014, 11:42 AM
I am 47 Caucasian 5ft 8 weigh 184lbs and thought I was healthy. But I got some lab work done and now I am 40mg atorvastatin.

Lipid panel was
Trig 115
Ldl 161
Hdl 67
Cholesterol total 251

MOM has me taking L-arginine 500mg and 2 pills of ACES + Zn (vitamins a,c,e plus selenium and zinc)

No soda

Question- why 40mg? Should I add fish oil? Also doc doesn't know about arginine and vitamins and Bayer.

I am not wincing in pain or anything from the joint pain.just feel like I have these new nagging injuries all the sudden. I play racquetball 2 times a week and I feel like joints have been playing more like 5 times a week.

FYI, my total Cholesterol was 256 in year of 2013, but the doctor never prescribe me any drug (my tri. is also high, but blood pressure is normal)

I did have joint pain when I went on the check up. After that, I did some internet research, and decided to take some supplement. I took mainly fish oil, that did low down my tri. and also got rid of joint pain. My total was also lower, but still in border line high.. but improved .. now 222.

Asprin should only be used for temporary solution. I suggest you take fish oil for a couple of month and see if that fixes your joint pain, if not, you may want to add magnesium and/or turmeric, that will help.

For fish oil, I took at least 6 a day (separate 3 times - meal times)
do it in a couple of month come back and post if that helps...

ainfante
06-08-2014, 02:55 PM

Lipid panel was
Trig 115
Ldl 161
Hdl 67
Cholesterol total 251

No soda

OMG, i cant believe they started you with such high mgs so quick. i have always had high cholesterol up to 300. they should start you at 10 or 20. i cannot take statins, tried crestor, lipitor (generic, all generic) then luvia omg this last one i itched all over and then had severe fatigue and muscle cramps. off one week and still have the hip pain, both sides. i cannot take statins and i took 200-400 mg cq10 with it. Now they gave me questum, something like that, havent took it yet. its a non-statin but read the side effects and they are just as annoying if not the same! I feel screwed. My high cholesterol is so hereditary. I finally got a cholesterol reading off this new med luvia i was taking (statin) and had a reading of 191, the lowest since the 90's. i do now have a heart stent, right artery but they are not sure if its from that or taking hormones and smoking. ugh!

babygirl127
06-18-2014, 01:00 PM
I agree the doctor really gave you no diet and exercise option? Your numbers are not that high! HDL is great and that is a plus. My hubby has number similar to yours and he is doing exercise and diet now and our doctor, thank heavens is not pushing the meds yet. He is in his mid 40's and does not want to take the statins for the rest of his life. Good luck to you, try the exercise and diet for 6 months.

tess201
06-19-2014, 10:16 AM
I agree with rudiraven. Your numbers are not alarming. If you want you could take OTC supplements to lower LDL and trigs. Many docs, I think, are just way too conservative when it comes to cholesterol numbers and put way too many people on Statins that don't need to be on them.

Tess