PDA

View Full Version : Functional disease?!

worrywort
02-10-2014, 07:32 AM
Am I the only one that feels ibs is not a functional disease at all. I mean it has seriously ruined my life. I am a stay at home Mom and find that being difficult while I am in pain and feeling sick. No way could I work feeling like I feel. I have had 3 colonoscopys!!! I have had upper gis I have had ct scans and barium swallows!! This sucks and I am so tired of feeling like crap!!! Currently I am trying clean eating and going gluten free... Cutting sugar. Taking a probiotic daily. I hope I see improvement so I can be the wife and Mom my family deserves. Okay, rant over. Well wishes to you all for I know I am not the only one suffering.

Missy1227
03-03-2014, 08:11 PM
I too am a SAHM and wonder how I could work having IBS. I haven't been officially diagnosed with IBS but I've had a colonoscopy, endoscopy, allergy tests and most recently a CT scan. I'm not sure what other tests they could do. I just started a medication given to people with IBS so we'll see how it goes. I have been having severe symptoms every 2 weeks for a while now. I feel like I have the stomach flu for 24-48 hours at a time. I'm miserable :(. Just know your not alone in feeling sick and even though I don't want anything to be wrong with me IBS just seems like a lazy diagnosis with this severe of symptoms.

MountainReader
03-03-2014, 09:29 PM
I was frustrated when I got my IBS diagnosis. Mine started after I had 'side effects' from a medication that I only took for 5 days. Four months and a lot of tests later, I was diagnosed with IBS after they ruled out a bunch of other stuff. That was almost 6 years ago. I'm not to the point that I have some good days, but I also have other days that aren't as good. Mornings are the absolute worst for me on the bad days. I have to be able to make the 20 minute drive to work...for those of you with 'D' you understand this. At times, I've had to take FMLA at work for intermittent leave. Right now, I have a disability accommodation at work. It allows me to go in late some days, but I have to work later those days though. Between the IBS and some acid reflux related breathing issues, it seems that I spend so much time worn down that I'm not functioning as well as 'normal'. I haven't had 'normal' for a long time though.

It is tougher since you have kids. You can't stop being a mom. You have to keep pushing through your misery regardless. Hard to do when you are spending your day in the bathroom.

I'm right there with you on the testing. I've only had one colonoscopy (due for another next year), but I've had 5 EGD's, 2 Esophagrams & Barium Swallows, 5 pH tests, 4 Manometries, and lots of blood and stool testing.

Not sure what else I can say, but know that you aren't alone. Hang in there.

worrywort
03-07-2014, 12:35 PM
I too am a SAHM and wonder how I could work having IBS. I haven't been officially diagnosed with IBS but I've had a colonoscopy, endoscopy, allergy tests and most recently a CT scan. I'm not sure what other tests they could do. I just started a medication given to people with IBS so we'll see how it goes. I have been having severe symptoms every 2 weeks for a while now. I feel like I have the stomach flu for 24-48 hours at a time. I'm miserable :(. Just know your not alone in feeling sick and even though I don't want anything to be wrong with me IBS just seems like a lazy diagnosis with this severe of symptoms.

I have had every test in the book over and over.... Over being poked!! Lol. I am going to crack down and go gluten free. You can still be sensitive to it and not allergic. I think it's a lazy diagnosis also. It's awful!!! Would love to plan a trip to disney but will i make it?!?!? Tired of planning my life around the bathroom and pain, nausea! So frustrated :( only test I haven't done is the gallbladder test.

puzzik79
05-05-2014, 04:31 PM
Am I the only one that feels ibs is not a functional disease at all. I mean it has seriously ruined my life. I am a stay at home Mom and find that being difficult while I am in pain and feeling sick. No way could I work feeling like I feel. I have had 3 colonoscopys!!! I have had upper gis I have had ct scans and barium swallows!! This sucks and I am so tired of feeling like crap!!! Currently I am trying clean eating and going gluten free... Cutting sugar. Taking a probiotic daily. I hope I see improvement so I can be the wife and Mom my family deserves. Okay, rant over. Well wishes to you all for I know I am not the only one suffering.

That's usually what the drug companies want you to believe, so they can keep making billions of dollars.

I am assuming the result of your colonoscopies were negative to Crohn's and Colitis?

Food allergy panel (simple blood test) and comprehensive stool tests should tell more.

Missy1227
05-05-2014, 06:09 PM
I have had every test in the book over and over.... Over being poked!! Lol. I am going to crack down and go gluten free. You can still be sensitive to it and not allergic. I think it's a lazy diagnosis also. It's awful!!! Would love to plan a trip to disney but will i make it?!?!? Tired of planning my life around the bathroom and pain, nausea! So frustrated :( only test I haven't done is the gallbladder test.

I too have thought about going gluten free. It's very overwhelming for me just thinking about it. I have things about the gluten free lifestyle on my ******** news feed so it's a daily reminder for me. I've also done a ton of reading on it. I have Hashimoto thyroiditis and there is a glutin connection with that as well. What's really frustrating is that most doctors don't recognize gluten sensitivity.

As for you making it to Disney, I say go for it! I don't let anything stop me. If I'm having a bad day I deal with it then. I don't ever plan a bad day.

worrywort
05-06-2014, 10:46 AM
I too have thought about going gluten free. It's very overwhelming for me just thinking about it. I have things about the gluten free lifestyle on my ******** news feed so it's a daily reminder for me. I've also done a ton of reading on it. I have Hashimoto thyroiditis and there is a glutin connection with that as well. What's really frustrating is that most doctors don't recognize gluten sensitivity.

As for you making it to Disney, I say go for it! I don't let anything stop me. If I'm having a bad day I deal with it then. I don't ever plan a bad day.

I let it stop me from doing lots of things :( it's usually the pain that stopsnme, the discomfort of the bloating and feeling nauseous. Gluten causes inflammation and I have inflammation. My colonoscopys are all negative for everything except ibs. My endoscopy showed hiatal hernia and acid reflux... I will not put my body through another colonoscopy any time soon. So frustrating!! :(

puzzik79
06-03-2014, 11:23 PM
For me it's the inflammation/irritation of the colon. I am on a strict diet and it's tough.

I learned very quickly that "if you cheat, you suffer".

Overall, things can get better if you follow the directions you are given. In my case, the acid reflux and gastritis were healed.

The IBS itself is much tougher out of the 3.

I don't agree with the claim it is a functional disease. I was fine for 34 years. I did abuse certain things and got what I deserve, but it's fixable.

Proper testing is the key. Most Doctors don't do those, they just guess.

worrywort
06-06-2014, 07:38 AM
For me it's the inflammation/irritation of the colon. I am on a strict diet and it's tough.

I learned very quickly that "if you cheat, you suffer".

Overall, things can get better if you follow the directions you are given. In my case, the acid reflux and gastritis were healed.

The IBS itself is much tougher out of the 3.

I don't agree with the claim it is a functional disease. I was fine for 34 years. I did abuse certain things and got what I deserve, but it's fixable.

Proper testing is the key. Most Doctors don't do those, they just guess.

I had a blood test for allergies, my scopes all come out normal except for a small hiatal herniaand acid reflux.. I rarely have symptoms of reflux. I will not take pills for that regardless of symptoms. I am thinking of cutting gluten and sugar. Stool test are negative also. I am at a loss

JimB
06-20-2014, 09:14 PM
As you probably know, IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion. Since all of your tests are normal, IBS is the most likely diagnosis. I'm pretty sure of this because I received the same diagnosis 30 years ago after undergoing similar testing. The symptoms come and go, usually for no apparent reason. It is hard to live with sometimes, but I manage.

I would advise getting a second opinion if that would help you cope. Avoid Internet concoctions that claim to cure it - they won't, because it isn't a disease. If the cause and cure were known, we would all be cured, and there would be no need for this message board. It is a functional disorder where the colon doesn't behave like it should. Almost everyone has it from time to time, and some of us unlucky ones have it chronically.

worrywort
06-21-2014, 08:35 AM
As you probably know, IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion. Since all of your tests are normal, IBS is the most likely diagnosis. I'm pretty sure of this because I received the same diagnosis 30 years ago after undergoing similar testing. The symptoms come and go, usually for no apparent reason. It is hard to live with sometimes, but I manage.

I would advise getting a second opinion if that would help you cope. Avoid Internet concoctions that claim to cure it - they won't, because it isn't a disease. If the cause and cure were known, we would all be cured, and there would be no need for this message board. It is a functional disorder where the colon doesn't behave like it should. Almost everyone has it from time to time, and some of us unlucky ones have it chronically.

Yes, I have had a second and third opinion. I don't want anymore tests since Ihave had so many already and they are so unpleasant. 3 scopes on someone who is 35 is a bit much and I will not subject myself to anymore. I have accepted that this is my life and I have 2 hard time coping at times. I can't make plans to do anything because its up to my stomach if I am a loud to or not. Hopefully changing the diet will help. Thanks so much :)

STLouisgal
06-21-2014, 09:03 AM
Have gynecologic abnormalities been ruled out? Gyn issues can affect the bowels (and the bladder). Endometriosis is the main one that comes to mind. Other possibilities are Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (infection of female sex organs) or Pelvic Congestion Syndrome (varicose veins in the pelvis).

worrywort
06-21-2014, 03:48 PM
Have gynecologic abnormalities been ruled out? Gyn issues can affect the bowels (and the bladder). Endometriosis is the main one that comes to mind. Other possibilities are Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (infection of female sex organs) or Pelvic Congestion Syndrome (varicose veins in the pelvis).

I have had two laporoscopys and do not have spots of endometriosis but I have been told I have it because of my heavy periods. Fibroids have been ruled out as well. Definitely don't have pelvic inflammatory. Ugh, hopefully I get to the bottom of it all though. I appreciate your reply. I don't feel so alone :)

JimB
06-21-2014, 06:32 PM
Trust me, you're not alone. I would also add that my symptoms completely disappeared for several years late in my career after I stopped traveling so much and settled down to a desk job. I attribute this to less stress from constant job pressures. Now that I'm retired, I have a whole new set of worries, so my symptoms reappear occasionally. I can't win. ;) Hang in there. Yours will likely improve over time.