PDA

View Full Version : 35yr old male with high cholesterol, possible skewed results

warsumm
02-20-2014, 10:23 PM
Hello,

I am new here. Here are my Lipid results from a few days ago:

LIPID PANEL (80061)-IN OFFICE 2/18/2014 11:31 AM
Panel/Test Value Unit Normal Range
CHOL 303 mg/dL 0 - 200
HDL 73 mg/dL 40.0 - 60.0
TRIG 45 mg/dL 0 - 150
LDL 221 mg/dL 0 - 130

I work out regularly, have no family history. I did eat a large egg 2 hours before the test and 3 eggs, toast with butter, and a few small slices of cheese approximately 11 hours before the test. My last physical was 3 years ago i do not recall the results but do not remember anything being high. I have changed my diet the past 2 months and it does include much more dairy: cheese, milk etc. Typically, I eat a high protein diet(6 eggs a day, oven-baked chick, turkey, rarely any red meat) and work out a few times a week although i have not worked out at all the past 2 weeks for personal reasons(possible overtraining which has completely stressed me out; high anxiety, crying spells etc) anyway, to finally get to the point, could the results be skewed due to the factors I have mentioned? majorly skewed? Obviously my main concern is the very high LDL. Any tips, suggestions, input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

tess201
02-21-2014, 03:26 AM
Well you probably know that you should do a fasting lipid panel. Maybe you could repeat it? But here are your ratios based on that test:

TC/HDL 4.1 best is <4.5

LDL/HDL 3.0 best is <3.2

Trig/HDL 0.6 best is <2.0

You can see that your ratios are still okay and may have elevated based on your diet prior. While you're eating high protein are you also keeping carbs down? If not, high protein and high carbs would eventually work against you.

Tess

warsumm
02-24-2014, 05:51 PM
Hi Tess,

Thank you for your quick response. I am keeping carbs down while eating higher protein. I assume I got a bad reading. My doc rec'd meds but I am going to decline, wait 2 months, and re-test with a true fast. Thanks again!

Jeff

tess201
02-25-2014, 04:16 AM
Hi Tess,

Thank you for your quick response. I am keeping carbs down while eating higher protein. I assume I got a bad reading. My doc rec'd meds but I am going to decline, wait 2 months, and re-test with a true fast. Thanks again!

Jeff

Right. Even with these numbers I don't think meds would be in order.

Cheers,

Tess