PDA

View Full Version : chronic fatigue and cough

66jmcf77
03-02-2014, 12:45 PM
I am starting my third month of this illness. The main symptom is fatigue and an occasional cough. It seems to last 10 days to 2 weeks then goes away for a week or so and I feel quite normal. When I go back to my normal routine like a light workout at the gym or a couple of drinks on a Saturday night it comes right back within a day or 2. I went to the doctor and he said my chest and breathing were ok. He said the blood tests showed I was as healthy as a horse. I had the same thing in July and August. Then it started as bad cold symptoms that went on to become the same recurring fatigue and cough. It seems that this time it also started as a bad cold. I'm really over this and would like to get my life back to normal. Any ideas what it might be?

ladybud
03-02-2014, 06:08 PM
There are several things to consider and the first question is "Did you have a chest xray"? That is mandatory. Do you have fever, cough up mucous or blood, or have shortness of breath? Any history of asthma? If chest xray is ok, then pulmonary function tests should be done. Oxygen level should be measured at rest and with activity to see if it is dipping. A pulmonolgist can be consulted if your regular Dr. can't get to the bottom of it.

66jmcf77
03-02-2014, 09:10 PM
RayThere are several things to consider and the first question is "Did you have a chest xray"? That is mandatory. Do you have fever, cough up mucous or blood, or have shortness of breath? Any history of asthma? If chest xray is ok, then pulmonary function tests should be done. Oxygen level should be measured at rest and with activity to see if it is dipping. A pulmonolgist can be consulted if your regular Dr. can't get to the bottom of it.

Thanks for your reply. My doctor has not recommened a chest x-ray. I do occasionally cough up mucus (no blood) no fever, but I have had chills and occasionally shortness of breath. The other symptom is general weekness, like I have to sit down. No history of asthma.

ladybud
03-03-2014, 05:30 AM
Chills can indicate infection or an inflammatory reaction, as can weakness. I think a chest xray, blood count, sed rate and CRP (infection/inflammation tests on blood) would be a good place to start. Then, depending on what if anything shows up, more tests may be needed to pin it down. There are too many things to consider to guess, so an orderly investigation is needed.

Penguinboy55
03-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Yes you should have a blood test done. If that shows signs of infection a chest x ray would be the next appropriate step of diagnosis. If you start to cough blood or have difficulty breathing see a doctor.