PDA

View Full Version : Success with pro-biotics?

lacey1
03-10-2014, 08:58 PM
I've had issues with constipation since I was little. I cannot recall how regular I was as a child but I do remember all the painful stomach aches prior to it and this happened almost daily. Eventually the stomach aches stopped and I noticed some (or sometimes great) improvement with changing my diet and exercising.

Right now I am doing a cleanse that seems to be making my constipation even worse. Several months ago I would go once a day and that was amazing and I was happy with it, now it is once every two days. And it just keeps following that pattern. I have cut back on sugar and alcohol (I am following the Candida diet for a few weeks), I am taking Bio-K to get more pro-biotics in and also doing a liver cleanse with pills that are actually suppose to help increase bowel movements. And yet when I started all these things, it got rather worse. I am concerned that the toxins in my body are not being properly flushed out as I am doing this cleanse.

I am wondering if Bio-K or what other pro-biotics have dramatically helped people with this situation? And also how long before the stuff will kick in? I've been alternating between taking half a bottle to one bottle of Bio-k per day (because it is rather expensive for me).

worrywort
03-11-2014, 03:07 PM
I've had issues with constipation since I was little. I cannot recall how regular I was as a child but I do remember all the painful stomach aches prior to it and this happened almost daily. Eventually the stomach aches stopped and I noticed some (or sometimes great) improvement with changing my diet and exercising.

Right now I am doing a cleanse that seems to be making my constipation even worse. Several months ago I would go once a day and that was amazing and I was happy with it, now it is once every two days. And it just keeps following that pattern. I have cut back on sugar and alcohol (I am following the Candida diet for a few weeks), I am taking Bio-K to get more pro-biotics in and also doing a liver cleanse with pills that are actually suppose to help increase bowel movements. And yet when I started all these things, it got rather worse. I am concerned that the toxins in my body are not being properly flushed out as I am doing this cleanse.

I am wondering if Bio-K or what other pro-biotics have dramatically helped people with this situation? And also how long before the stuff will kick in? I've been alternating between taking half a bottle to one bottle of Bio-k per day (because it is rather expensive for me).

I take pb8 its own good probiotic recommended to me by my nutritionist. I have the opposite though. I don't have constipation. It's important to have healthy bacteria in the gut.

k742
03-25-2014, 11:23 PM
I suffer from constipation. A lot. After finally jumping on the probiotics band wagon, I can say I don't think I'd ever go back to not taking them. In just the two days alone I've experienced relief from the horrible pressure in my lower back and abdomen from the gas build up. I hadn't had a good BM in about 2 weeks, but it's slowly happening...and I don't feel like it's too uncomfortable. I'm not familiar with all the varieties - I just picked an inexpensive one at the drugstore - but I will definitely sing the praises of it! Good luck!

Deer Haven
03-26-2014, 12:01 AM
I've had bouts of constipation at times for years. A friend told me to take Magnesium. For me I take 250mg at night it worked great...Start at 250mg and work up from there. Hope that works for you!:) Take Care.

imoverit
03-29-2014, 04:26 PM
I didn't realize constipation could be such an issue and the importance of regularity until I went to a chiropractor who had additional nutritional training. I take ascorbic acid (powdered form of vitamin C) one scoop mixed with water every night and that, along with clean eating - lots of vegetables and fiber rich foods has helped. I take regularity seriously now and diet has a lot to do with it plus your intake of filtered water. Taking probiotics is a wise choice even if you don't have health issues that you are aware of. There are many choices in the line of probiotics- and some are better than others - cost can reflect quality. Mine are capsules and free of all the well known food allergens. I do my own research just trying to figure things out on my own and understand a little better, but I rely on my doctor to come up with a plan suited best for me and all my issues. There are countless cleanses out there and there's no way for me to guess which is the best one. Candida is an issue for me as well and that in itself does not come with a "one fits all" pill to fix. If this has been an issue since childhood it will take some time, so just be patient, learn as much as you can and don't give up. It's a lifestyle change.

Molly825
04-02-2014, 04:19 AM
If I were you i'd stop the probiotic you're using if it is causing problems. It might contain something in it like inulin/FOS which may make your constipation work

Try a really high strength one like the elixa short course probiotic (a 3 day program). That gave me excellent results. I've tried quite a few other ones. Yoghurt drinks did nothing for me. Some drink (which tasted a bit like disgusting beer) did nothing for me, some capsuled ones I took (many brands) gave me bloating because of the inulin/fos in them. And a powder satchet one made me vomit. Elixa gave me no problems. Got rid of my bowel problems which alternated between constipation and diarrhoea.... so it will probably fix you up.

After that I would try a psyllium husk supplement. Start with very low amounts and build up slowly. You should be sorted in a week (3 days of elixa followed by 4 days psyllium husk and onwards!!)

Good luck :)

lacey1
04-02-2014, 08:52 AM
If I were you i'd stop the probiotic you're using if it is causing problems. It might contain something in it like inulin/FOS which may make your constipation work

Try a really high strength one like the elixa short course probiotic (a 3 day program). That gave me excellent results. I've tried quite a few other ones. Yoghurt drinks did nothing for me. Some drink (which tasted a bit like disgusting beer) did nothing for me, some capsuled ones I took (many brands) gave me bloating because of the inulin/fos in them. And a powder satchet one made me vomit. Elixa gave me no problems. Got rid of my bowel problems which alternated between constipation and diarrhoea.... so it will probably fix you up.

After that I would try a psyllium husk supplement. Start with very low amounts and build up slowly. You should be sorted in a week (3 days of elixa followed by 4 days psyllium husk and onwards!!)

Good luck :)

I took other people's suggestions with pb8 and I think it helps with the situation. Bio-K I am not sure about, I have not seen a dramatic difference with or without it. I may stop it for a week and see what happens. I want to make sure I am covered with probiotics since I am taking antibiotics.

In regards to Elixa, what sort of excellent results did you notice? Did it extend beyond relief from constipation? Perhaps improvement in skin? Will the antibiotics interfere with getting good results?

Molly825
04-04-2014, 02:58 AM
Actually it's funny you mention about skin. That was the first thing I noticed.

You see... i usually eat really well for my bowel condition, so it means I'm not sympomatic constantly. But I tried Elixa (sticking with my good diet) and as soon as my skin started improving I decided to be a little bit more daring with my diet. After testing the waters it has DEFINITELY diminished my bowel symptoms. Almost completely but perhaps another round is in order.

My symptoms were: bloating after eating anything fibrous (insoluble fiber), diarrhoea after dairy or lots of vegetables, and bad skin after eating dairy/greasy food/high fiber food.

Like i said, it was the skin improvement that gave me the courage to get adventurous with my diet :)

girlsdayout
04-21-2014, 08:55 AM
Maybe probiotics will work for you for constipation. They made me have diarrh and gas. Can you tolerate honey? I've heard some success stories with it.

Have you tried honey for constipation, or better, with lime? I'm thinking that vit c stimulates the bowel, and honey is soothing. maybe the combination would help?

Kneedragon76
04-29-2014, 11:15 AM
Try Turmeric Capsules or better yet 1/2 teaspoon in 1/2 cup of warm milk. tastes bad but will relax your stomach as its a natural anti-inflammatory. worked for me.