PDA

View Full Version : I Need Ideas/Support For Coping With Grave's Disease But Not Grave's Disease

Ravvy03
03-28-2014, 06:02 PM
Alright. So I'm having some difficulty coping with my current medical situation. I'm 23 years old, so this stuff is getting hard to deal with on a daily basis. I feel I am too young to be going through all these medical conditions. I could use some support from others who have similar problems or who have had trouble coping with their illnesses or diseases. Getting support from my family has been hard. As they think I am over reacting. Even got called a hypochondriac by one of them. So any ideas or just discussions about this will help. I know doctors can't always find the answer themselves. So if I can find valid ideas to present, it might provoke ideas from them to consider. Also, any tests that I should suggest to my doctor to help solve this would be greatly appreciated.

I tend to do extensive research and check with nurses and doctors a lot to see if what I am saying, even makes sense. Which it usually does. I can say that I do have some medical knowledge. I'm not your average naive "googler of symptoms." But I am also not a doctor or claim to be able to diagnose anyone or myself. I just want ideas. Ideas that may get me the answers I need to feel better and stop worrying.

Well, here goes. I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism (Grave's Disease) last year in February. Seems fine. It runs in my family. I seem to have a couple of the symptoms but not all. And some that don't make any sense.

Symptoms
- I have big eyes. But they've been big since birth. (So I don't know if that means they are related to the Grave's disease or not)
- I have a high metabolism. Food and drink tends to go right through me. I can eat a plate of spaghetti and be hungry in a couple hours again.
- I am not under weight. I weigh 172lbs. I am 5'4''. (Doesn't fit hyperthyroidism)
- I have a very rapid, constant heart rate. 125 is my resting heart rate beats per minute. Fast walking brings it to the 140's. Full on running is over the 180's. It's been that high since I was about 15 years old. It's being controlled now with a lot of beta blockers. But it's still concerning.
- I am fatigued all the time. I can have a decent sleep and still feel drained almost everyday. (Also doesn't fit hyperthyroid. I should be anxious and feeling adrenaline)

So my main concern with this is, it's taking quite a long time and a lot of extra effort to get my heart rate down. I've been on my thyroid meds for about a year now. And beta blockers since December 2013. My family doctor feels there should have been an improvement with my heart by now. Especially since my thyroid levels are stabilizing and my Tapazole meds are being lowered. So it's concerning that my heart rate still needs the assistance of beta blockers.

I keep wondering why it's beating so fast? What's causing it? With the evidence of my thyroid levels getting to normal ranges, it suggests that my heart rate has nothing to do with my thyroid. I have valid reasons for my worries. I'm too young to have heart problems. I'm actively seeing a Cardiologist. But he was given the diagnosis from my doctor. And since then, he's never seen anything else. He says my heart is healthy and fine and that it's my thyroid causing it to beat fast. Without even doing any official tests. He listened to it with a stethoscope and did an EKG, that's it. Where is the x-ray? Where is the echo cardiogram? Internal scans that can show damaged heart muscle? Only after pushing him that I want those tests done, has he agreed. It's frustrating.

Anyway, here are my most recent Thyroid blood levels as given from my Endocrinologist (The one who suggested the levels are stabilizing and I should lower my tapazole dose).

TSH: 0.01
TSH Normal Range: 0.35 - 5

TS4: 13.4
TS4 Normal Range: 12 -22

TS3: 4.4
TS3 Normal Range: 2.6 - 5.7

Also, feel free to check my profile for a list of my diagnosed conditions/current medications.