PDA

View Full Version : Follow up: I am ok now :)

Caboclo
04-17-2014, 03:06 PM
Hello guys and gals,

6 years ago I made this post bellow and many nice people gave me advices, so I now felt the urge to post an update about my life.
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/gallbladder/600626-i-need-some-serious-help-advice-ibs-after-gallbladder-removal.html

I am no longer afraid of traveling or even going out as I used to. In my case, the IBS-D was triggered after a gallbladder surgery, so I think my body is getting used to it now.
What really helped me was Questran, but still I used to have problems even taking it regularly.
Nowadays I only have gut pains when I eat really spicy food, drink too much and/or forget to take questran for a day or so.

I used to have a office job but got really bored, until I faced my fears and took a naval electronics service engineer job I always dreamed of. I love to travel and be active and now I travel all over the country as part of the job.

I still keep some lomotil pills in my pocket and some toilet paper in my pockets all the time, just in case :) but I can't remember the last time I needed those. Also I still avoid eating in the morning if I need to go out early, because in the morning the symptoms are the worst.

I know that many things can trigger the problem in people and no case is the same, but my message to you that is suffering is to keep the hopes up, because I have felt like my life was not worthy anymore, I felt all the embarrassment and depression you have been through so many times. But you will probably be well, if not fully recovered, the odds are that you will learn to manage it and have a normal life. When people told me that I thought they didn't know what they where talking about and just BSing me, but it's actually truth.

You need to keep up fighting to find out.

PZH77
04-20-2014, 11:05 AM
It's interesting that you mention how things tend to be worse in the morning. I try to avoid eating first thing in the morning, too, because of this. If I have a day of errands or activities planned, I will wait until I am done with them for fear that what I eat for breakfast will bring on an IBS attack. I have a very health conscious friend who warns me that not eating breakfast or first thing in the morning is bad for me. But it's what WORKS for me. And I know she has a legit concern because I am type II diabetic. I'd just rather get my stuff done and then come home and eat and if I get sick, at least my errands are done!

Caboclo
04-21-2014, 07:33 PM
It's interesting that you mention how things tend to be worse in the morning. I try to avoid eating first thing in the morning, too, because of this. If I have a day of errands or activities planned, I will wait until I am done with them for fear that what I eat for breakfast will bring on an IBS attack. I have a very health conscious friend who warns me that not eating breakfast or first thing in the morning is bad for me. But it's what WORKS for me. And I know she has a legit concern because I am type II diabetic. I'd just rather get my stuff done and then come home and eat and if I get sick, at least my errands are done!

Hello PZH77.

Yes, it is definitely worst in the morning. Sometimes it fells like anything I ingest will upset my gut so I tend to have breakfast when I arrive at my destination in the morning, but lately there are days I fell confident enough to eat at home and not have an incident on my way. I am paranoid about being stuck in a traffic jam and suddenly having to run looking for a bathroom, and this have actually happened before.
Depending on how I am feeling, how paranoid I am and the importance of the appointment, when I have to leave my home in the morning, my "ritual" goes on that order:

1- I won't have breakfast at home, I will eat when I get there or skip it altogether.

2- I may increase the questran dosage from 2 sachets a day to up to 4 a day.

3- All the above and I will not eat dinner the day before.

4- All of the above and I will take Imodium one hour before I leave home.

I don't have diabetes, so other than hunger and weakness on extreme cases, I don't feel any other lasting consequence from that.

There where days I simply haven't ingested anything other than clean water (few) when I had to move around different places all day specially outside my comfort zone.

Your friend has reasons to worry but I can understand where you're coming from.