PDA

View Full Version : 19 Year-old Female, Incredibly Worried About Having Something Serious

vivezmargot
04-18-2014, 09:49 PM
I am a 19 year old first year college student, and for the past few days, I have been having some strange symptoms.
Starting about three days ago, I was just at my laptop, typing something for class and I noticed that my right hand felt strange, and everything I did with it felt strange. At first I thought it was a migraine coming on, as sometime when I get migraines my hands will tingle or hurt so I thought nothing of it.
And now, about three days later, my right hand feels very strange and weak. I can still grip things and make fists, but every few seconds I get scared to try to move it because I am afraid I will not be able to move it, but I always can. It feels light and weak-like, and then earlier today I was walking across campus and my knees started to feel really heavy and walking almost hurt. When I got back to my dorm I sat down and it fixed it for a while, but my hand still felt weak. I have noticed I'm fumbling a lot with my fingers and seem to be tripping a little too, but that might just be all in my head. Also, a few days ago for a few minutes I could move my pinky toe, but soon after I was able to, and I don't know if that could have been cause by me sitting on it. Sometimes my right thumb (usually on the knuckle) will tingle for a few minutes or my ring and pinky finger will. My right knee and leg also feel weaker and have been for a few hours today.

I am really worried that something is seriously wrong with my, and I am out of state and not covered by insurance unless I am in the ER, but its still also a big-ish co-pay for the ER and I don't want to go if its nothing serious. I am almost deadly terrified to speak incase I am suddenly not able to form words, or afraid that I wont be able to move my toes or fingers, but I am not getting any relief by sleep or rest, and I am starting to worry that I might have ALS. I know that I am fairly young and a lot of people would tell me I'm too old for it, but I know something has to be wrong.

Any type of feedback would be very much appreciated!

Titchou
04-19-2014, 05:22 AM
Sounds more like a nerve or disc problem. Young people often have horrible posture when sitting - esp at the computer - so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's going on.

tess201
04-19-2014, 06:33 AM
It might be worth a co-pay, if for nothing else, to ease your mind or to delve further, if that is determined what is needed. No walk-in clinics available?

Tess

tiff-cher
04-19-2014, 11:19 AM
I would suggest going to a PCP and getting a referral to a Neurologist. It sounds like you might have a pinched nerve in your neck and possibly something going on in your back. They would be able to do an EMG/Nerve Conduction Study to tell if there is an issue. Often times an ER can refer you as well. I hope this helps.

vivezmargot
04-19-2014, 11:59 AM
Sounds more like a nerve or disc problem. Young people often have horrible posture when sitting - esp at the computer - so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's going on.

It really could be, I am at my computer a lot and have had a history of slouching.

vivezmargot
04-19-2014, 12:03 PM
I would suggest going to a PCP and getting a referral to a Neurologist. It sounds like you might have a pinched nerve in your neck and possibly something going on in your back. They would be able to do an EMG/Nerve Conduction Study to tell if there is an issue. Often times an ER can refer you as well. I hope this helps.

I have a Neurologist at home that I was referred to for my migraines. What are symptoms of pinched nerves? I have a had a lot of possibly pinched nerve symptoms this year, most of which have gone away.

Titchou
04-19-2014, 06:29 PM
Exactly what you described. The tingling, loss of sensation, weakness,etc.

vivezmargot
04-19-2014, 09:40 PM
I have also for the past 5 hours maybe, my entire left arm through my ring and pinky finger feel either constantly aching or burning, but applying cold soothes it for a moment or two, but it comes back as soon as I remove it. Could that also be a pinched nerve or herniated disk?

Titchou
04-20-2014, 04:42 AM
Yes, ma'am. It could be any number of things. We all suggest getting it checked.