PDA

View Full Version : Is my therapist any good?

AnxietyReader
04-24-2014, 04:55 AM
Hi all.
Apologies for the long post but I could really use some advice.

Basically Im going to my 4th session of therapy today and I'm questioning how much it is helping.
My therapist is a really lovely woman who's easy to talk to but I feel I'm not making much progress and the "homework' Im getting feels unhelpful.
Almost as if I could just follow a guide on the internet and do much the same.

My story in a nutshell is, i've had bouts of depression, ocd and panic attacks through out my life. My fathers has recently passed away and im having trouble finding a job after graduating college. All in all I feel really powerless and overwhelmed by everything lately and finally decided to get help.
My ocd concerns huge fears of contamination and getting sick by the way.

I believe I'm doing CBT at the moment, and the homework I've been getting was first to listen to a relaxation cd, second, make lists of what I will do the next day to motivate me and last week concerned the ocd and she wants me to write out when I get a fear and then write beside it what the more realistic outcome is.

Is this the right sort of path to take? So far I haven't found it particularly helpful, and would prefer something more aggressive that would show more immediate results. Or should I start on meds as well? Am I just expecting too much too soon in this regard or should I be feeling in more control by this point?

I guess I'm wondering if I should stick it out with her or move on to a new therapist. (I don't much want to have to start from scratch again though).
Does this sound like standard treatment for my problems or does it sound like I'm wasting my money? I know they say it takes like 10 hours session time to help but I don't want to be wasting that time.

Thank you in advance for any advice, as I'm really lost right now.
Kind regards.

TrainOfThought
04-24-2014, 02:24 PM
Hi. I encourage you to stay a little longer. CBT is pretty effective treating anxiety disorders such as OCD. Personally, I underwent CBT and it helped me a lot. From what you are describing it seems that in fact it is CBT and I believe it is the right choice to go. Other than that it looks like your therapist is taking small steps and approaching slowly with you. In my point of view that is alright, later on the treatment it will get rough so it is wise to start slowly. Also, at the beginning of any treatment the therapist always makes it clear that the process is slow, rough and it requires a great deal of patience. In my opinion it seems like the standard CBT treatment (Still I am no expert and I might be wrong), but it does sound right to me.
Take care

AnxietyReader
04-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Train. ^_^
I think what your sating sounds right.
I feel a little more confident about the treatment after my session today, as I forced myself to really open up and admit how bad things were, and spent al ot more time talking rather than leaving her to lead the conversation which really made me feel more involved in the process.
I think I shall stick around with her for at least a few more sessions and try to be more patient.
Still anymore advice would be great.
Im really glad that you felt CBT helped you, It's nice to know there can be light at the end of the tunnel.
All the best. ^_^