PDA

View Full Version : Too many symptoms to count but no answers

david83
05-17-2014, 04:12 PM
I'm 29, male, and I have a big list of symptoms which I've been suffering with for about a year. I wondered if anyone had any ideas they could just throw out there to check.

This all started suddenly a year ago. I was playing sport, came home and sat down then drank a bottle of water (a lot of water in a very short period). About two minutes later I had a severe attack of blurred vision/vomiting. I dragged myself to bed then fell asleep and woke up feeling groggy and generally awful the next day. Since that day I've persistently had the following symptoms:

1. Fuzzy/wobbly vision (not quite double vision, more like your head is constantly spinning and there's a fog over your vision).

2. An all over tingly sensation in my arms/legs, with my legs in particular constantly feeling weak and shaky.

3. Odd sleeping patterns - I fall asleep fine but often wake up after 5-6 hours and then keep drifting in and out of sleep for very short periods with a slightly delirious sensation. It's a bit like when you're incredibly tired but your body doesn't want to let you sleep and you drift in and out of consciousness.

4. Tinnitus that randomly appeared the day after my attack and hasn't gone away. I also have eye floaters that randomly appeared on the same day and haven't gone away.

5. Various other things that may or may not be related - shortness of breath, stomach cramps, change in bowel movements, migraines, unexplained vomiting. I separate these as it's possible they have nothing to do with it (e.g. I think I may have an unrelated bowel condition that causes most of these, while the migraines were happening for many years before so probably aren't related).

I've had blood tests, an MRI scan of the brain, an ECG to check for heart problems, a diabetes test, a 24 hour blood pressure test, a full eye exam, and an MRI scan of the ears. All completely normal.

I have no idea what's causing this and my doctor doesn't have any answers. I wondered if anyone had any theories or has had similar experiences. I feel like it was caused by exercise - water intoxication, a mini-stroke or something like that which was brought about through the exercise and has caused some lasting brain damage, but I don't know if that's feasible. I really don't know what has caused this and I'm desperate for some answers as it's pretty much derailed my life/job/relationship.

solofelix
05-18-2014, 06:53 AM
I'd like to have more advice for you but it seems all your tests have come back good.
If I was you I would cut down on both the exercise and the water and see if that helps.
If not then I would ask for a referral to see just what is the problem,

Solofelix.

lenvegas
05-18-2014, 11:30 AM
Hi, perhaps you have a vitamin or mineral deficiency. The first thing I thought of was a magnesium deficiency because your symptoms are similar. I would start taking a multivitamin and multimineral tablet each day and see if your symptoms improve and if not than you can eliminate that possibility. Good luck with this....

gggoodgggirl
05-26-2014, 05:01 AM
Did you start any new medications or change a dose in a medication around the time this started? Did you experience any change in diet or environment before that triggering incident?

I once had a systemic allergic reaction to a medication that didn't appear for a month after I started taking the drug. All of my symptoms were exactly as you describe. Blurred vision, tingling arms and legs, ringing in my ears, dizzy/wonky, severely high blood pressure... and the symptoms were constant. I could not work, drive, or do much of anything and was landing in the ER about 2X per week. All blood tests and scans were 100% normal.

I never made the connection to the medication because I was on it for a month before the symptoms kicked in and I assumed that an allergy reaction would happen immediately. But that is not always true. In my case I finally found a doctor who made the connection (after seeing about 10 others with no answers). Even after I stopped the medication it took about 1 month to return to symptom-free.

My recommendation is start to keep a log. Get a small notebook and write down everything you do, put in or on your body, environmental changes, etc., and note all of your symptoms and reactions with the exact times. After a while you may start to see a pattern.

Whatever happens, don't stop advocating for yourself.