PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like IBS?

Zialov
05-31-2014, 12:08 PM
Hi,

In preparation for starting the autoimmune diet (a strict form of Paleo), I gave up diary, grains, beans and started adding more fruit, vegetables and meat to my meals. I wasn't perfect at giving up all grains and dairy but I cut back drastically. I knew I was going to try the autoimmune diet in the near future so I also avoided nuts, eggs, and nightshade vegetables. Again, I cut back but didn't completely eliminate them. I thought this was a good way to start and I loved that I was losing weight but I soon ran into trouble!!!

I developed a bad headache that lasted several days. After that, I felt OK for a day but then my stomach and bowels started acting up. I felt really rotten. I had that headachy feeling plus my stomach felt crampy and the worse part was a sort of hard to explain bowel discomfort. On and off it felt like my bowels, especially my lower bowel or rectum was irritated and this slowly became a constant feeling. Mainly I was constipated but twice I switched to diarhea. There were times when I had no appetite at all but not too often. I have given up the diet until I can recover. It got to where I could only eat bland starchy foods and chicken or my stomach would start aching.

I'm feeling better now but my lover bowel or rectum still feels irritated and there is a sense of pressure also. I've been slowly adding back my veges and now I can eat pretty much anything I want except I wouldn't try spicy at this point. I still have that achy, sore, uncomfortable bottom. I feel better when I'm lying down. Stool softners and a laxative my doctor recommended are helping a lot. This whole thing has lasted a month! My Primary doc thought this was triggered by the diet but it's hard for me to believe a diet change could make me this miserable.

Please let me know your thoughts and experience on this. Reasurring words would be helpful. I started crying in my docs office the other day.

puzzik79
06-09-2014, 09:15 AM
Hi,

In preparation for starting the autoimmune diet (a strict form of Paleo), I gave up diary, grains, beans and started adding more fruit, vegetables and meat to my meals. I wasn't perfect at giving up all grains and dairy but I cut back drastically. I knew I was going to try the autoimmune diet in the near future so I also avoided nuts, eggs, and nightshade vegetables. Again, I cut back but didn't completely eliminate them. I thought this was a good way to start and I loved that I was losing weight but I soon ran into trouble!!!

I developed a bad headache that lasted several days. After that, I felt OK for a day but then my stomach and bowels started acting up. I felt really rotten. I had that headachy feeling plus my stomach felt crampy and the worse part was a sort of hard to explain bowel discomfort. On and off it felt like my bowels, especially my lower bowel or rectum was irritated and this slowly became a constant feeling. Mainly I was constipated but twice I switched to diarhea. There were times when I had no appetite at all but not too often. I have given up the diet until I can recover. It got to where I could only eat bland starchy foods and chicken or my stomach would start aching.

I'm feeling better now but my lover bowel or rectum still feels irritated and there is a sense of pressure also. I've been slowly adding back my veges and now I can eat pretty much anything I want except I wouldn't try spicy at this point. I still have that achy, sore, uncomfortable bottom. I feel better when I'm lying down. Stool softners and a laxative my doctor recommended are helping a lot. This whole thing has lasted a month! My Primary doc thought this was triggered by the diet but it's hard for me to believe a diet change could make me this miserable.

Please let me know your thoughts and experience on this. Reasurring words would be helpful. I started crying in my docs office the other day.

1. Do you have any blood in your bowel movements? Was a colonoscopy done? This test is designed to rule out Crohn's, UC and cancer of the bowel.

2. A DNA stool test for bacteria (good & bad), parasites and yeast as well as inflammatory markers, fats etc. This will show what's going on "down there" as far as gut ecology.

3. Food allergy panel could also be useful (IgA/IgE/IgG). Sometimes you can develop food allergies, even in a later age of life.

4. Tests for RA and other autoimmune functions should be done as well, to rule those out. It may not be autoimmune at all. Those are usually genetic.