PDA

View Full Version : Punch Biopsy of toenail

itrisome
06-03-2014, 02:05 PM
I went to a dermatologist to have a dark line and bruise looked at after reading about subungual melanoma. She removed a corner of my toenail and confirmed that there was melanin in the sample, but that's all she could really say. She now has me scheduled for a punch biopsy with a podiatrist. Luckily they squeezed me in their schedule for tomorrow. I was hesitant to do the biopsy right away as I am signed up for a marathon in about 2-1/2 weeks, but she encouraged me to do it sooner rather than later even though it is likely to be benign. I agree, but am still hoping I'll be able to run 26.2 in two and half weeks. I'm wondering how traumatic the punch biopsy will be. Any advice on what to expect after the punch biopsy? How soon will I be able to run afterwards?

Thanks

Stacy

itrisome
06-05-2014, 08:15 AM
Quick update...punch biopsy went well. I was very anxious about the procedure as I often have trouble staying "numb" whenever I have dental work, but it really was painless--even the numbing shot. Toe is all wrapped up, but I slept well last night, and I am really no more than mildy uncomfortable. Doctor advised me to take it easy until I take off the wrap in 2-3 days, and after that I'm good to start running again.