PDA

View Full Version : Is it better to wash hands with antibacterial soap or use alcohol hand sanitizer?

SpicyGirl82
06-06-2014, 04:23 AM
Hey everyone. Is it better to wash hands or to use hand sanitizer? I have heard that hand sanitizer is better because it kills more germs and also because the germs can't become antibiotic resistant since there are no antibiotics or antimicrobials in hand sanitizer. I am speaking of hand sanitizer that has ethyl alcohol in it by the way. So, what do you think? Which is better? Alcohol based hand sanitizer or antibacterial soap?

esker
06-06-2014, 05:49 AM
It's better to wash your hands with ordinary non-antibacterial soap. Alcohol hand sanitizers are only partially effective. Norovirus is not killed by hand sanitizers, for example.

Hand washing is effective because it removes the microorganisms from your hands. It's not necessary to kill them with antibacterials. No one knows what happens when antibacterial soap gets into the environment. We really need to stop allowing manufacturers to make it.

janis2
06-06-2014, 03:29 PM
I would much rather wash my hands with soap and water than use a sanitizer.

gmak
06-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Hi spicy, I was taught in school that washing hands with soap & water, lathering well using friction, for 20-30 seconds, rinsing lather from hands with warm running water down drain is the most effective handwashing technique & handwashing is more thorough than using alcohol based foams, or gel alcohol hand sanitizer at loosening viruses, bacteria & then them rinsing down sink. However, hand antibacterial gel & alcohol foam are better than nothing & do have their convenient place of use when sink, running water, etc not available.