PDA

View Full Version : I keep passing out, is it because of lack of protein?

BaeSai
06-07-2014, 07:06 AM
Yesterday starting around 4:44am I began passing out and just started feeling really drained. I passed out 3 times between the time 4:44 and 6:50am. Each time it would take longer for me to come to no matter what my mama did and when I did she said my eyes were really big when I woke up as if I didnt know who she was.. I know I'm used to getting dizzy every now and then, and especiall when I get up from sitting, but it usually passes after 8 seconds or less. This time I got dizzy while fixing myself some drink then it would worsened, everything would start moving, I would sway having trouble keeping balance, then my vision would go, then It'd go black and I would wake up on the ground unable to move for awhile exhausted. I went to the doctor yesterday and he checked my iron (I took meds for low iron for awhile but this year got taken off of the.) but it was ok. He could only 'guess' I assume that it's because lack of protein. Um I truly believe I eat more than enough of protein! Not to mention STILL every time I get up I get dizzy, still get light headed, and get a headache >.< And I sit down in fear feeling like I'm going to fall. Is he right? Or is it more? Many are telling me it's not from lack of protein and its a ridiculous assumption. And I'm being told to go to the hospital. I'm very afriad of even getting up because of all the headaches and dizzyness. And I just feel exhausted.. i'm a 21yr old female btw if that helps? Also i saw this exact doctor before for my dizzyness cause I nearly fainted once and he said i was ok. And i saw my regular doctor for the same thing and still nothing... Idk any advice on what I should do, and whats going on? Thanks! (Sorry for typos or anything im using my phone)

ladybud
06-07-2014, 08:10 AM
You do need to go to the hospital. Have someone else take you and get taken into ER via wheelchair. Fainting is not normal and can be caused by many things. Usually in a young person it can be dehydration, electrolyte imbalance (low salt, low potassium), very low BP, low blood sugar, etc. but it needs to get figured out. There are a variety of abnormal hormone states like Addison's, low aldosterone, low thyroid as well that can cause fainting. You need to get checked. This is dangerous and can result in a serious injury, including head injury if you fall on a hard surface. Any chance of pregnancy?

BaeSai
06-07-2014, 08:51 AM
You do need to go to the hospital. Have someone else take you and get taken into ER via wheelchair. Fainting is not normal and can be caused by many things. Usually in a young person it can be dehydration, electrolyte imbalance (low salt, low potassium), very low BP, low blood sugar, etc. but it needs to get figured out. There are a variety of abnormal hormone states like Addison's, low aldosterone, low thyroid as well that can cause fainting. You need to get checked. This is dangerous and can result in a serious injury, including head injury if you fall on a hard surface. Any chance of pregnancy?
No I'm abstinent!! And I already have high blood pressure. Im at the hospital now actually waiting. The nurse checked my heart rate while sitting them while standing up and said it jumped up very high. He said I needed fluids. I haven't seen the doctor yet or done anything else but I hope to find out something soon. Idk what's going on. Thank you though!

ladybud
06-07-2014, 10:46 AM
Good, let us know what transpires. Fluids should make you feel better. The question is, why are you dehydrated? Are you on a diuretic for high blood pressure? It is rather unusual for a 21 year old to have high blood pressure. I hope you feel better soon!

NeuroCA
06-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Yesterday starting around 4:44am I began passing out and just started feeling really drained. I passed out 3 times between the time 4:44 and 6:50am. Each time it would take longer for me to come to no matter what my mama did and when I did she said my eyes were really big when I woke up as if I didnt know who she was.. I know I'm used to getting dizzy every now and then, and especiall when I get up from sitting, but it usually passes after 8 seconds or less. This time I got dizzy while fixing myself some drink then it would worsened, everything would start moving, I would sway having trouble keeping balance, then my vision would go, then It'd go black and I would wake up on the ground unable to move for awhile exhausted. I went to the doctor yesterday and he checked my iron (I took meds for low iron for awhile but this year got taken off of the.) but it was ok. He could only 'guess' I assume that it's because lack of protein. Um I truly believe I eat more than enough of protein! Not to mention STILL every time I get up I get dizzy, still get light headed, and get a headache >.< And I sit down in fear feeling like I'm going to fall. Is he right? Or is it more? Many are telling me it's not from lack of protein and its a ridiculous assumption. And I'm being told to go to the hospital. I'm very afriad of even getting up because of all the headaches and dizzyness. And I just feel exhausted.. i'm a 21yr old female btw if that helps? Also i saw this exact doctor before for my dizzyness cause I nearly fainted once and he said i was ok. And i saw my regular doctor for the same thing and still nothing... Idk any advice on what I should do, and whats going on? Thanks! (Sorry for typos or anything im using my phone)
Have your MD chk your supine and standing BPs, AM cortisol levels, as well as ACTH and HbA1c.

paulatrombly
06-13-2014, 05:25 PM
You need to be tested for Diabetes or you may need fluids sounds also like Dehydration

NeuroCA
06-13-2014, 05:44 PM
HbA1c is a test for diabetes, more sensitive than fasting blood sugar and safer than a glucose tolerance test. The Na+ will tell you if you are dehydrated, as long as it's checked at the right moment, and the ACTH and AM cortisol will check for Addison's. A TSH will check for thyroiditis. It's also important to get an SaO2 and EKG, preferably a 48-72 hour Holter monitor, which can pick up electrolyte abnormalities as well as arrhythmias. If still a mystery, get a blood gas (very painful test)