PDA

View Full Version : IBS Diagnosis and I don't believe it

Razz2525
06-18-2014, 08:12 AM
Hi all, I'm new to this board and I'm so glad I found it! Maybe someone has some ideas.

For the past 7-8 weeks I've been suffering from a bloated belly (painfully bloating, 3 months pregnant-looking bloat) and either a constant dull pain in my lower left abdomen or a shooting pain/spasm from my lower abdomen into my lower left back. At first, I thought it was uterine in nature because I had an unexpected menstrual cycle that just wouldn't stop despite being on birth control. Pelvic exam and ultrasound revealed nothing although when she pressed on my lower abdomen, it hurt a lot.

Cycle finally ends at this 6 week mark and I'm feeling ok finally for a few days. Make the decision to stop birth control altogether to get my body back under control but a CT scan reveals small bowel inflammation and a small kidney stone. They gave me that barium liquid to drink prior to the CT scan and I had diarrhea for DAYS long after the scan was finished.

So I can't get an appointment with a GI for several weeks and the pain starts up again. Not so much bloating but constant lower abdominal pain this time. Hurts when I cough, hurts when I get up from my chair, starts hurting the minute I get out of bed although I'm fine when lying down. When I press on the skin over the area, the skin feels almost bruised! Just pinching my skin hurts a lot. I stopped all probiotics when I went away on vacation last week but since I've been back home, I've started drinking kambucha which has lessened the pain so that I only feel it when I walk, not when I just sit. I'm still going to the bathroom regularly although the stool looks dark (but it isn't black). I get cramping when I need to go to the bathroom but the feeling doesn't match the output lol. I'm surprised to see relatively little but I'm going twice a day.

Finally yesterday I see the GI and describe all of this. He presses down on my stomach and it hurts. The last time I had a colonoscopy/endoscopy with similar symptoms (but not this kind of continuous pain) was 2011. He says I have IBS and prescribes Miralax to be taken every day along with a medicine that will stop cramping. But I don't have cramping and I told him that any kind of anti-diarrhea medicine shuts my system down for weeks. He also says drinking Apple Cider Vinegar is total hooey because there's "no science" behind it. Meanwhile, ACV and/or Kambucha definitely helps my symptoms, the bloating for sure and the pain lessens a bit.

I really feel something else is definitely going on but he said "You're not crazy, you have IBS." Meanwhile, I'm not constipated nor do I have diarrhea. I'm drinkings TONS of water with lemon. With adjustments to diet, the ping-pong between diarrhea and constipation have gone away. I just feel this was a throwaway diagnosis and it wasn't until I reminded him of my pain that he agreed to do a small bowel capsule, but even then he said 40% of my small bowel might be missed AND the capsule might get stuck. He also recommended I start the low FODMAP diet which eliminates even more food than I had already eliminated by eating a Paleo diet. Veggies I was relying on I now am not supposed to eat. Ugh.

Sorry this is so long, I got on a roll. I'm just so tired of the unpredictable bloating and constant dull pain like a twisting or a stitch in my abdomen and lower back. I'll see what this capsule will do but it may not be scheduled for another few weeks. I'm afraid to take ibuprofen because I've read it's hard on the stomach.

I stopped all of my other supplements and my allergy medicine too so I'm just taking my Smarty Pants multi-V and iron although the iron may be contributing to my issues as well.

If anyone has any ideas please share! I already made a second opinion appointment with another GI doctor but won't see him for another month because he's so popular. :(

worrywort
07-02-2014, 06:48 PM
All I can say is, I feel your pain! Ct also showed inflammation in my lower left side of my intestine. They were not concerned. Also had a small bowel follow through, it was negative for crohnes. I get sooo bloated :( I have had 3 colonoscopys and I am 35. I will not put myself through another! I also take iron due to anemia. I take a probiotic called pb8. I am sorry you feel like dirt, it sucks living like this :(

dogcito
07-04-2014, 02:34 AM
Hi
I can share your despair. I have had IBS almost 25 years now. Thankfully only the constipation side. I was completely freaked about about it for the first year. Then I kind of got used to having the permanently bloated belly. I read a lot about it. Better the devil you know etc. That sometimes made me feel worse.
I have coped with it by doing exercise and trying not to think about it.Doctors don't know much about it. I tried hypnotherapy, co,lonoscopys (horrible but reassuring it's not a fatal disease) but I was hruting myself financially by trying all the alternative treatment. Being in debt for it did not make me feel better. Like other illnesses you'd be surprised how many people have it. I don't like my stomach just now because I like to go ont he beach in a bikini now. I live in a hot country.
You may well get used to it. Mine started after a terrible life event that made me want to kill myself!
I just try to live with it now. I have foudn certtain shops where the clothes sizes make my stomech look less pregnant!
Hang in there with us!! We understand.

dogcito
07-04-2014, 02:36 AM
Hi
I can share your despair. I have had IBS almost 25 years now. Thankfully only the constipation side. I was completely freaked about about it for the first year. Then I kind of got used to having the permanently bloated belly. I read a lot about it. Better the devil you know etc. That sometimes made me feel worse.
I have coped with it by doing exercise and trying not to think about it. Doctors don't know much about it. I tried hypnotherapy, colonoscopys (horrible but reassuring it's not a fatal disease) but I was hurting myself financially by trying all the alternative treatment. Being in debt for it did not make me feel better. Like other illnesses you'd be surprised how many people have it. I don't like my stomach just now because I like to go onto the beach in a bikini now. I live in a hot country.
You may well get used to it. Mine started after a terrible life event that made me want to kill myself!
I just try to live with it now. I have found certain shops where the clothes sizes make my stomech look less pregnant!And they're quite cool too.
Hang in there with us!! We understand.

turbomeister
07-04-2014, 08:51 AM
Hi all, I'm new to this board and I'm so glad I found it! Maybe someone has some ideas.

For the past 7-8 weeks I've been suffering from a bloated belly (painfully bloating, 3 months pregnant-looking bloat) and either a constant dull pain in my lower left abdomen or a shooting pain/spasm from my lower abdomen into my lower left back. At first, I thought it was uterine in nature because I had an unexpected menstrual cycle that just wouldn't stop despite being on birth control. Pelvic exam and ultrasound revealed nothing although when she pressed on my lower abdomen, it hurt a lot.

Cycle finally ends at this 6 week mark and I'm feeling ok finally for a few days. Make the decision to stop birth control altogether to get my body back under control but a CT scan reveals small bowel inflammation and a small kidney stone. They gave me that barium liquid to drink prior to the CT scan and I had diarrhea for DAYS long after the scan was finished.

So I can't get an appointment with a GI for several weeks and the pain starts up again. Not so much bloating but constant lower abdominal pain this time. Hurts when I cough, hurts when I get up from my chair, starts hurting the minute I get out of bed although I'm fine when lying down. When I press on the skin over the area, the skin feels almost bruised! Just pinching my skin hurts a lot. I stopped all probiotics when I went away on vacation last week but since I've been back home, I've started drinking kambucha which has lessened the pain so that I only feel it when I walk, not when I just sit. I'm still going to the bathroom regularly although the stool looks dark (but it isn't black). I get cramping when I need to go to the bathroom but the feeling doesn't match the output lol. I'm surprised to see relatively little but I'm going twice a day.

Finally yesterday I see the GI and describe all of this. He presses down on my stomach and it hurts. The last time I had a colonoscopy/endoscopy with similar symptoms (but not this kind of continuous pain) was 2011. He says I have IBS and prescribes Miralax to be taken every day along with a medicine that will stop cramping. But I don't have cramping and I told him that any kind of anti-diarrhea medicine shuts my system down for weeks. He also says drinking Apple Cider Vinegar is total hooey because there's "no science" behind it. Meanwhile, ACV and/or Kambucha definitely helps my symptoms, the bloating for sure and the pain lessens a bit.

I really feel something else is definitely going on but he said "You're not crazy, you have IBS." Meanwhile, I'm not constipated nor do I have diarrhea. I'm drinkings TONS of water with lemon. With adjustments to diet, the ping-pong between diarrhea and constipation have gone away. I just feel this was a throwaway diagnosis and it wasn't until I reminded him of my pain that he agreed to do a small bowel capsule, but even then he said 40% of my small bowel might be missed AND the capsule might get stuck. He also recommended I start the low FODMAP diet which eliminates even more food than I had already eliminated by eating a Paleo diet. Veggies I was relying on I now am not supposed to eat. Ugh.

Sorry this is so long, I got on a roll. I'm just so tired of the unpredictable bloating and constant dull pain like a twisting or a stitch in my abdomen and lower back. I'll see what this capsule will do but it may not be scheduled for another few weeks. I'm afraid to take ibuprofen because I've read it's hard on the stomach.

I stopped all of my other supplements and my allergy medicine too so I'm just taking my Smarty Pants multi-V and iron although the iron may be contributing to my issues as well.

If anyone has any ideas please share! I already made a second opinion appointment with another GI doctor but won't see him for another month because he's so popular. :(

turbomeister
07-04-2014, 09:12 AM
I feel for you, just don't ignore pain. I did in 2008 and finally went to the emergency room and my colon had twisted and completely close off the ability to void. I flat lined twice, and was out of it on and off while the MD just wanted to try medications, and the surgeon wanted to get in there and fix it. They quarreled for days while I ran a high fever and was sedated for the pain. Thank God my son gave the surgeon permission to operate. I was in the hospital for a week and a half and my part of the hospital bills was $37,000. It took me 5 years to pay it all off. I went to a gastrointestinal doctor recently and I now have inflamed intestines, ulcers that bleed, and a messed up esophagus that limits what foods I can swallow. A recent CT scan shows my colon is twisting again. Take care and get the treatment you need, don't ever continue with a doctor you can't get to listen to you.