PDA

View Full Version : new to this - post infectious IBS , is this normal?

pacosta
07-09-2014, 12:09 PM
I"m new to IBS and will try to make this short. Went to ER two months ago with bloating and abdominal pain, diagnosis after cat scan was Enteritis, inflamation of the wall of small intestine, caused by infection due to high white blood cell count, they said I ate some bad food.

Took Cipro 14 days and was on low residue diet for 14 days, went back to dr, off the diet and had no pain for 2 weeks, slowly started eating regular food, but small amounts. Since then on and off bad pain between breasts, like under sternum, every few days. When i do eat like a childs portion, I feel sooo full. I've been taking Digest Gold plus probiotic.

I'm still having days where i'm in bed all day, sometimes in tears and almost ready to go back to the ER. This last episode lasted 7 days, now having Diarhea for 1st time during all this, for 6 days. I can only eat tablespoons of rice or applesauce at a time, or sip broth or eat jello. I've lost 25 lbs in less than 2 months.

Dr said this can be "normal" and may go away after 1-2 months or longer or never! S

So my question is, does this sound normal? Pain so bad I'm in tears at times, and cannot eat, only tablespoons at a time?
Help? I'm getting depressed!

update dr said I must get endoscopy and prescribed levsin for pain until I can schedule the procedure

spiritgirl72
07-18-2014, 06:34 PM
Hi Pacosta, this situation is the hard way to lose weight. I lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks. You didn't mention where your pain is, in the stomach or lower intestine. When I first got this I had pain so bad I almost went to the er but couldn't because I had diahrrea also. The pain I was told was muscle spasms, also called Spastic Colon, had that for hours before the diahrrea started. This week I had blood clots after all this and am going back to doctor Monday. Going back to the er won't help, just cost you lots of many. Be careful with the diahrrea and don't get dehydrated, that will make you sick also, drink plenty of fluid. My appetite went down also because of the stomach upset. I am surprised the er didn't tell you to get a colonoscopy to see what's going on, but you said you had inflammation of the upper intestine so maybe you have 2 things going on. I was told that stress is the biggest trigger of IBS, I think nowadays we don't know when we're stressed anymore, we get used to it. Hope you feel better, there is hope.