PDA

View Full Version : Have IBS-D but never had this happen before

MAGrandmaBear
08-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Hello, Everyone---Thank you for reading my post.

I've had IBS-D now for over 30 years. For a long time it really limited my life. As an example, I used to like to take long walks after eating my lunch but had to stop because I would end up with diarrhea. So...I ended up adding more weight and limiting the foods I would eat. If I had to go out somewhere for a long period of time, I would pop Imodium AD. I gave up talking to the doctors and nurse practitioners about it because I kept getting blown off with "Don't stress out and eat more fiber", then I would get a lecture about my weight. Even when I explained that the advice didn't help, I still got the stock answers.

Fast forward to 5 years ago---I was told that I developed type 2 diabetes and then I set out to try to lose weight. From a now-defunct digestive newsletter, I learned that taking 2 teaspoons of flaked coconut a day could help. Much to my amazement, it did help! Then, my doctor finally listened (after she had cancer, it made her a better listener). She noted that I had had my gallbladder removed 9 years after the IBS-D diagnosis and she prescribed Cholestyramine, which is a powder that is mixed in with juice. It helps bind the bile, thereby cutting down on diarrhea.

So...I got the IBS-D in remission and was able to get on the treadmill without having to stop halfway to have diarrhea. Now, I hardly ever had to take Imodium AD. I was able to keep my A1C levels in normal range without needing type 2 diabetes meds.

All that ended 4 months ago. While eating out, suddenly I realized that I just couldn't eat another bite, after not eating very much. We were visiting our daughter and headed home the next day. It was a 5 hour drive. During the trip home, I felt fine. However, as soon as I got into the house, without warning, diarrhea started to come out of me! That never happened before in my life!

The next day, my stomach started to ache. No matter what I ate, I felt nauseous. Many times I thought that I was about to throw up, started coughing but in the end, only burped. I also had very mild acid reflux.

Drinking ginger tea with a meal helped somewhat. Still, I was at the point where I was afraid to eat anything. If there is a plus side, I lost even more weight.

Meanwhile, my intestines were roiling almost constantly. Everyday I was having explosive diarrhea and became afraid to pass gas without going to the bathroom.

A couple of months ago, it was like a switch got flipped. My stomach felt fine and I could eat without becoming nauseous.

However, the intestines are still roiling no matter what I eat. I have lots of gas and explosive diarrhea and am at my wit's end.

I take a probiotic (have for years) and recently upped to 80 billion but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thank you for reading all of this!

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I ask because with my health plan unless I go to the doctor with an idea as to what is going on, they just blow you off after you've described your symptoms. For example, I had fibroids for years and would describe my symptoms. It was only when I said "I think I have fibroids" did I get taken seriously.

I wonder if I could have gastritis---it seems to fit. Or a virus.

Any thoughts as to what is going on with me? I would be happy to answer any of your questions, should it help. If I have to go to the doctor, I have to go with ideas as to what is going on.

Preferably, if I can do something on my own to heal myself, I'm willing to try.

Thank you for your advice!

MountainReader
08-10-2014, 11:03 PM
I have IBS-D too. I have periods of time it isn't too bad, then others that flare bad.

I end up seeing my Gastroenterologist fairly regularly. He will do blood work and stool samples when my symptoms flare and I can't figure out the trigger.

Recently, he prescribed Lotronex for me since my other meds stopped working as well. It is specifically for women with IBS-D issues. Might be something to check into. It worked really well for me. I'm able to take it at a pretty low dosage too.

Have you had a Colonoscopy in recent years?

MAGrandmaBear
08-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and give an answer!

I will research Lotronex.

No, I haven't had a colonoscopy yet. Last year, my husband had, at the same time, an endoscopy and a colonoscopy. In his case, the doctors were looking for a cause of his anemia. Fortunately, nothing serious was found. After he had both done, he says that he feels that his bowels and digestive system aren't the same and even seem somewhat worse. That's my fear of getting a colonoscopy. I mentioned this to the doctor last year and she said that having one might actually make the IBS-D better...