PDA

View Full Version : IBS taking over my life - very depressed!

anjmarie320
08-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Hi all! I'm new to the ibs boards! I'm going through a very difficult time in my life and the central problem of it has a lot to do with my ibs. To make a long story short I always had stomach (and anxiety) issues from as far back as i can remember. I'm 29 and was just recently diagnosed by my GI with IBS. I held back from talking about my stomach issues for YEARS with my primary doctor until i gave in and decided to see a GI.

Ive never had much pain which is good, my problem is mainly frequent bowel movements. I will use the bathroom up to 4-5 times in a day ( mostly early day) My urge to go starts the moment i wake up in the morning. When i know i have to be somewhere, I will wake up hours before hand to start my cycle of going to the bathroom. I will go and feel better and then have to go again within several minutes to a hour even ( this goes on for several hours)

To make matters worse i have a public pooping phobia! i absolutely HATE HATE HATE going anywhere that isn't my home or somewhere i feel comfortable. I have made a habit of living off of pepto bismol just to get through the day. I have lost jobs due to absences, i have left tons of social events early, even declining going in the first place in fear of my stomach. I am currently not working because of it, I constantly cancel plans with people, its really holding me back from everything in my life! I'm in a constant state of worrying about my stomach, i will not eat when i am out at an event in fear that the cramping feeling will come on and ill have to use the bathroom, It's just so unpredictable that the feeling will randomly come on throughout the day, I am late to almost everything because i can't stop going in the morning! I'm getting to the point where i just cry every time i have to be somewhere because i know what the process is going to be like. My family tries to be understand but even they're getting sick of my stomach issues, my boyfriend is great but he just doesn't understand this problem at all and he cant relate, we argue sometimes because i cancel plans or refuse to go places. I just wish i could be one of those people who can go once every few days and be done with it! This has been going on for YEARS and years, I don't know what else to do I'm thinking about seeking a therapist to start.

I appreciate anyone who took the time to read my story! it's nice to know others are out there going through similar issues.

worrywort
08-15-2014, 04:21 PM
I am on the same boat... I have terrible bloating and pain at times though, now being one of those times. Have you had tests done at all? Sometimes cutting gluten can help regardless of being allergic to it or not. Taking a probiotic? I understand what you are going through. I constantly cancel plans also. I have no life.

opt4
10-07-2014, 08:02 PM
I can empathize. This is how crazy my routine has gotten and it just keeps getting harder to handle. I have horrible bloating and pain associated with constipation. I supposedly have IBS. I used to take 2 Colace on an empty stomach in the morning with coffee (only works that way for me.. if I miss that chance then it's gone for the day) and I would go and my problem would go away for a week. Now I take 2 Colace in the morning on an empty stomach with coffee and sometimes I go and sometimes I don't and sometimes I end up getting diarrhea. It's like a no win situation. If I don't take it I'll get really constipated and in so much pain I can't stand to be touched. But if I do take it I may get diarrhea. To top it all off, I have to give it time to work before I can eat or go anywhere. It may be the afternoon before I can eat.... Going somewhere? Haha! My life feels like a total wreck. IDK what else to do.:confused::dizzy:

marty1990
10-07-2014, 09:44 PM
If we was machines we should perform simple experiments.
Quit all caffeine, eggs, gluten, beef for 2 weeks. Eat home made chicken soup with rice and vegs. See what the effects are.

I wish there was a daily medical journal to record myself everyday. What I eat, when I wake up and go to sleep, bowel movements, etc Some stuff is related to foods and some stuff is related to stress, just wished I could track it better.

engineer1961
10-08-2014, 09:48 PM
Honestly you sound an awful like me if I don't take my Lomotil. It's the only thing that basically keeps me from living on the toilet :) I've had IBS(d) for over 20 years now and first I took Imodium for years (I used to have to take 27 a day to stop it so I could go to.work). Then they diagnosed me and put me Dicital which is a daily med, it worked for a few years but not as well as I would have liked. So then I started on Lomotil (another prescription) which I take when I get cramps or diareah and within 20 minutes my stomach is calmed down and I don't have to stay on the toilet anymore for the day. It's the best thing that I've ever had for my IBS...it has changed my life. So get yourself to a doctor and tell him what's going on and ask him for something... Herbal stuff has never worked.for.me neither have probiotics but they work differently on everyone. Good luck!

STLouisgal
10-10-2014, 06:23 AM
I feel for you - I have been there. Have you tried Metamucil (or its generic)? I always thought it was only for constipation but my GI doctor suggested it when I had frequent, loose BM's and it did help some.

And as others suggested, doing an elimination diet and keeping a food journal can be helpful. Another option is the FODMAP diet specifically for IBS.

etata
10-10-2014, 08:12 AM
I hear you. I have missed work three days this week. The diarrhea has gotten so bad over the past few years that I am incontinent frequently. I have spent days in diapers. Humiliating, and I just can't wear a diaper to work (I work with animals). I have Lupus, and GI docs swear that I have some sort of colitis of inflammatory nature, but they can't dx it. Have tried so many meds, so many scripts. I end up in the hospital because of dehydration a few times a year. I am only in my 40's and I have no life. I can't go anywhere. Even the grocery store. There is no rhyme or reason to what makes me go. A colostomy sounds good to me. How pathetic is that? I want a poop bag so I can live again because this sucks.

parker1261
10-10-2014, 10:59 AM
did your doc give you any meds for this ? there are several different things that can be prescribed for it that may calm down the issues.