PDA

View Full Version : Weird Contractions in chest

tgdamsi
08-31-2014, 01:50 PM
Hi all,

I'm 45 years old male with no history of serious disease. I'm suffering from these weird contractions in my chest for 6 weeks or so now.

First time I had them was 10 years ago. I thought I was having a heart attack and I went to the ER. They did and ECG, came up normal and they told me that they were probably esophageal Spasms. Cut down on coffee and tomato juice and they will go away. I did always have problems with my digestive tract and was diagnosed later with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) Librax (Librocol) usually gives me great relief for that.

Since then I had these sudden contractions maybe a couple of times a year. Very scary when they happen but I got used to it until 6 weeks ago. They started late in the evening and - again - I panicked and went to the ER. They felt stronger this time. An ECG came up normal again. The Dr. said it was stress induced (I was under a lot of stress to be honest) and gave me a couple of pain killers and another prescription of Librax.

This time the contractions didn't stop. I keep getting the attacks 3 or 4 times a day. They last from a minute to maybe 10 minutes. The usual times are soon after I wake up, around noon time and early in the evening. I rarely get them at night and eating makes them a bit milder while being hungry unleashes them like crazy. They leave my breathless but I don't feel dizzy, faint or tired. I have actually played an hour of soccer last week and didn't feel any chest pain or any of the usual heart problems symptoms. They do get worse when I'm not occupied so I guess there must be an element of stress / anxiety / depression involved.

Before I put this post up, I have spent hours searching online for similar stories. Found a few that were very close but there doesn't seems to be any conclusions about what are they and how to stop them except manage the stress which I'm trying to do but life has its own plans.

Some possible matches but not conclusive:

Esophagael spasms (I eat and drink normally)
Ectopic heartbeats (If true then nothing to do about it)
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVC) (Again nothing to do about it)
GERD / Acid Reflux (none of the other symptoms such as burning sensation)

IF anyone out feels something similar or knows what's happening, I would really appreciate the support.

Thank you all for sharing and wish you all good health