View Full Version : Pectus Excavatum on teens

12-13-2014, 05:40 PM
Hi, my name is Dignora and i'm 17 years old and i have pectus excavatum. I don't really like it and i don't know why i was born with it. I can never wear bikini or anything that really showed my chest. I was born with the problem so i actually thought everyone's chest was like this, but then i started to notice as i grew older that no ones chest looked like this and i never new the name to the problem until i searched it up one day. I have to say that mine isn't really that severe,i never measured or anything so i don't really know, and my ribs are where they should be, they don't really stick out at all.I still don't know if i should get surgery or not? I'm scared of what people might think and the boys i attract, i'm a virgin and i don't want a close relationship because of what he might think i have and run off... I mean i have seen women who get married and they have kids and they are way severe then I am.

12-14-2014, 05:32 AM
Has your pediatrician not discussed surgery to correct this with you and your parents? I have a friend whose son had this and they had the surgery to correct it when he was about 14. Ask your doctor.

12-14-2014, 07:44 PM
I did but my doctor hasn't called or anything. Its been months and the more i grow it seems the deeper it gets i don't remember it being this deep before. Thank you

12-15-2014, 03:44 AM
Was he supposed to call with a referral to a surgeon? Not sure why he would be waiting to contact you but I would call the office and ask. The procedure was invented by a doctor at Childrens Hospital in Norfolk, VA. You could contact them for a name of a surgeon in your area who does the same procedure. Just do a search for the condition and that location/hospital.