PDA

View Full Version : I have intrusive thoughts (please help)

bb2490
12-16-2014, 06:00 PM
Hey all,
I've been dealing with a problem for quite a while now;
I'm a 24 year old man who still lives with Mom and Dad, and I suffer from OCD. I feel like I have to tell them every

innapropriate and intrusive thought that comes into my head. It can be anything of a sexual nature, from asking them

about their sex life to sharing things that I know they don't want to hear and I think they're starting to hate me

for it...but the thing is, I feel like I HAVE to say these things because if I go to bed without saying them, there

might be something bad on my conscience; I know that's not true, but it FEELS true, and that's why I say these

things to them. Am I alone? Can someone help?

az09
12-23-2014, 09:39 PM
same here. I been dealing with this problem since i was 14 and never knew what it was. im now 24 and came across topic of OCD while searching for something else and that when i realize what my actual problem is. i been saying things in my head just because doing so feels right. and if i dont say it, feels like consequences will be bad.

Now since i have realized what it is after doing of same act over n over again for 10 years... im trying to avoid those thoughts. DOnt want to go through drugs and stuff(anti depressents)

organon1973
02-12-2015, 11:39 AM
How about, before speaking, you tell yourself "It is absolutely essential my parents know what I am about to tell them" -- and then take a minute to see if your mind rises with any contrary ideas, for example: "Is that true?" "Why?" etc. If this helps at all please let me know.

bb2490
02-15-2015, 01:37 PM
I think I understand what you're saying; So instead of blurting out what comes into my head, I should think about it first and if it's important enough, THEN say it?

organon1973
02-16-2015, 07:05 AM
If I may ask: do you think you are looking to your parents for a moral evaluation of the thoughts that pass through your mind, and of you? That this is the basis of why you must tell them inappropriate thoughts? So that they will have all of the information you have? And be able to form that evaluation, that judgment, correctly?

bb2490
02-16-2015, 12:38 PM
I don't think so, it feels more like I HAVE to tell them what comes into my mind, because if I don't, I'll be obsessing about it all day, and the thoughts will be in the back of my mind all day and it will bug me until I get it out in the open, it's like an itch, it will bother you until you scratch it...

XramboStyleX
02-28-2015, 11:46 PM
bb2490,

You need to take something...SSRI(anti-depressants) will treat that but it might not be needed depending on the severity of your symptoms. Look there are many things you can do:

-Cognitive-Behavioral-Therapy
-Inositol 18g/day(natural supplements clinically proven to treat OCD)
-SSRI(crappy side-effects though{sexual})

bb2490
03-09-2015, 09:54 PM
I'm on a bunch of psych meds now, depekote, zyprexa, and zoloft...so far they are working. I'm also using a journal for my intrusive thoughts. Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it!

annak92
03-26-2015, 02:24 PM
I've had really similar problems. First of all, I'm sure they're not starting to hate you(: You have a problem but it will get better and your lives will be back to normal. Secondly I would suggest you see a counselor. When I was really struggling with intrusive thoughts my therapist really helped. Before you go though I would suggest you decide whether or not you would consider being medicated. I was put on Paxil CR for my OCD and its done a lot of good but a good deal of bad. Lastly, I would suggest trying to get your thoughts out without being perhaps inappropriate with your parents. Maybe you could try writing them in a journal or talking to an animal or object (I know it sounds silly, but this helped me a lot). Whatever you do stay positive, things will start to get better so so soon!

bb2490
04-14-2015, 06:42 PM
Thank you very much for your support. I'm on zoloft for my thoughts right now and it seems to be working a little bit, but it also seems to make me really zoned out. I'm also seeing a counselor and he's trying to help, but it's all the same. I'm working on it though...