PDA

View Full Version : Cholesterol Status - Anything to worry?

Aathira
01-14-2015, 01:04 AM
My husband aged 28yrs.is having Triglycerides - 293 mg/dl, H D L - 35 mg/dl, L D L - 168 mg/dl.Dr prescribed to have Atorvastain 10 mg for 30 days.Is that necessary to have pills? or can he controlled through exercise? In this result anything to worry?

52ken
01-14-2015, 05:38 AM
My husband aged 28yrs.is having Triglycerides - 293 mg/dl, H D L - 35 mg/dl, L D L - 168 mg/dl.Dr prescribed to have Atorvastain 10 mg for 30 days.Is that necessary to have pills? or can he controlled through exercise? In this result anything to worry?

The numbers do need to be treated. The triglycerides can be lowered with 2 or 3 grams of fish oil supplements a day. The LDL can be lowered by diet. The HDL can be increased a little by having natural cocoa and wine everyday. Losing weight and exercise should also be increased too. Personally, I would try all that and then if the numbers don't change that much then maybe consider meds. Remember the ratios like total cholesterol over HDL are important too. Sometimes low HDL is hereditary and meds don't increase that much so your husband may have to live with lower HDL. My HDL is 38 but my total cholesterol is 160 so my ratio is good. I too had to work hard to get my numbers where they are today. What is his total cholesterol and his height and weight?

yackedar
01-14-2015, 12:27 PM
Hi Aathira and welcome to the board.

Your husband's TC works out at 261....and his ratios are:

TC/HDL = 7.46...(ideal = <4.5)
LDL/HDL = 4.8 ...(ideal = <3.2)
Trigs/HDL = 8.37 (ideal = <2.0)

The Trigs/HDL ratio is now considered the most accurate figure in determining a coronary infarction within a ten year period. Anything over '6' is considered to be high risk. Don't want to alarm you, but 8.37 is very high.

I would normally advise going down the natural remedy route, but all your husbands figures are way out of range leading to these bad ratio figures.
Personally, in your husbands case, I'd follow the GP's advice and get on the Lipitor. In one months time a new test will be carried out to see if an increase/decrease in the strength of the drug is required. Follow the advice in the above post about the lowering of Trigs, however Omega 3 is required NOT just fish oil. Make sure that the Omega3 taken per day contains 650mg EPA and 350mg DHA...(approx: 2:1 ratio).

If his high figures are not inherited, then life style and diet must change immediately in conjunction with taking a statin drug.

Good luck.

Yack.

52ken
01-14-2015, 03:02 PM
Yes everything is high and the only thing in your husband's favor is his age. At 28 even with those numbers the risk of a heart attack or stroke in the next ten years is very low (under 5%). With that being said, you have time to get this all under control. If your husband smokes, have him quit. If he is overweight have him lose weight. If his blood pressure is high have him exercise more and change his diet. If it is possible try your best to keep him off statins because there is a lot of negatives to them also unless you have no alternatives. It is best to check with the doctor so he can help with any questions you have and to monitor his readings.