PDA

View Full Version : Statin induced Diabetes and ext. High choleterol

starfishlady
01-22-2015, 07:37 AM
I am at my witts end I am crying as I type this. I have no idea what to do. I have a history of heart disease in my family. (plus a lot of anxiety and depression)

My cholesterol is extremely high 280 total, 67 trig, 65 HDL but the LDL is 200! and rising every time I go in for a blood test.

I took statins (Mevachor) for a while, but I had so much muscle pains and aches, I switched to another one, Zocor. That's when I started to have high blood sugars in the prediabetic range. I have no family history of diabetes, I weigh 125 pounds and I am 5 foot 2 and a regular exerciser. I am 49.

I stopped statin, but still have pre diabetes. 5.7 a1c at last count. I eat the diabetic diet. What can I do? No supplement has helped and I read the drugs induce diabetes in women. The doctor seems to think it worth the risk to induce the diabetes.

Imacarbuff
01-22-2015, 08:01 AM
I know what you mean about statin pain-been there-done that. I've tried them all but Crestor. I told my doctor I was not THAT brave.

Anyway, when my cholesterol hit 307 and my LDL was 238.....I knew I had to do some thing. I did a lot of reading and a lot of research and found a product called CholesLo. I told my doctor I was going to try it and got the eye roll because it is not a prescription.....so there's no way it could work.

Long story short...I go back in 6 months and my total was 190 and my LDL was down to 139. That's plenty low enough for me, having zero issues while on it. He softly said that "it appears" to be working....stay on it.

The downside-while my insurance company is happy to pay out hundreds for prescription statins if necessary, they will not pay for this supplement.

It is not cheap-but it is only $13 more than my $20 co-pay would be per month. That is if you buy on the 5 at a time deal direct from the manufacturer . If you buy this from a 3rd party you WILL pay much more than you need to! But, having said that I did only buy 2 from the manufacturer to start with just to be sure it would set well with me. It did and it's been 2 years now and I haven't looked back.

Just an option to keep in mind. Good luck!

starfishlady
01-22-2015, 12:55 PM
Thanks I have not heard of that product. I purchased Krill oil but I may try this.

tess201
01-23-2015, 06:09 AM
Hi,

Your ratios are all good, under the suggested values for LDL, HDL, Trigs; therefore, why Statins? Many docs can be alarmists because they only look at the total cholesterol number, not the ratios, which are more important indicators. If you are prediabectic that is also not something to so worry about. There are supplements that can address this. Research may help to relieve your fears.

Best,

Tess

starfishlady
01-23-2015, 07:47 AM
Well I have pulled myself together some. I would really like to avoid a bypass surgery, as I had relatives that had that. I guess, I'll just have to take my chances. So far I am staying off statin.

I am going to see a functional medicine chiropractor. I guess what bothers me is that I think the drug companies over stated the benefits of the statins and either hid or fudged the side effects. My mom was on statin and still had heart attack, and was on it when she had another event. My dad never had high cholesterol, but still had heart disease. He was on Lipitor, but still had another heart event. I saw the drug company came out with another study that side effects were Placebo. That's not so. I had muscle aches so bad I could not get up. I used to have 85 blood sugar (pre statin)and now it's always over 100 fasting. How can that be good? Doctor said, well we have great drugs for prediabetes. Huh another drug, and do the benefits outweigh the side effects. Does that make any sense at all? Diabetes is a serious disease that effects the quality of life and they are sneering at giving it to people, meanwhile Yammering about the Diabetes crisis.

starfishlady
01-23-2015, 12:39 PM
I think the new guidelines said that anyone with ldl over 190 had to be on statins. The problem is I think they are seriously under reporting the diabetes link. I found a study that said they are trying to decide whether induced diabetes was worse or the High cholesterol That means they don'tknow. My husband got his cholesterol test and it's horrible too. He's normal weight and an exerciser.

Machaon
01-24-2015, 11:43 AM
I used to have high Cholesterol around 300 and high Triglycerides around 500; and high blood sugar readings, back around 13 years ago. I never went on statins or metformin. I preferred to try diet first, before having to get on medications.

I went on an ovo-vegetarian diet of small, low calorie, low glycemic meals; and started a vigorous daily exercise program of pushups, weight lifts, stepper and power walks. My blood sugar numbers are now always very healthy and my Cholesterol is now-

Total Cholesterol: 167
HDL: 60
LDL: 89
TC:HDL ratio: 2.8
Triglycerides: 88

High Cholesterol means, to me, that one has a less than healthy diet, of too many calories, causing metabolic dysfunction, which, over time, can cause health problems, including increased risk of stroke and diabetes, IMHO.

I enjoy my diet and I enjoy the great health benefits, but it is soooooo very difficult to stay on my diet. I dream of eating pizza and double cheeseburgers and french fries and beer and snacks, etc. I stay on my diet, because I also have heart failure (which is improving rapidly!), but I totally realize why it is so very difficult for others to go on a truly healthy diet.

tess201
01-24-2015, 11:47 AM
Hi,

Great that you have brought your cholesterol under control, but high cholesterol is not always about a lousy diet. Many people have genetically high cholesterol, even while maintaining a healthful diet and lifestyle.

Tess

yackedar
01-25-2015, 04:26 AM
Besides lousy diets, lack of exercise and hypercholesterolemia, the root cause of elevated cholesterol levels is inflammation, caused by household chemicals, toxins, exhaust fumes and anything else inhaled, other than oxygen of course.

The bodies defence (defense, in the USA) mechanism kicks in by producing more LDL cholesterol to collect the particles of toxins etc. which are damaging the endothelium layer of the arteries. Unfortunately, the damaged areas accumulate a build up of plaque if there is not enough HDL cholesterol available to mop it up. This results in the build up of blood pressure to force the blood past the now 'blob/s' of plaque, but then causes further damage to the arteries until the inevitable happens.

Eliminate inflammation, whether induced by food, drink, poisons, toxins. Exercise to increase the HDL, and maintain an even ratio of the intake of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fats and then you'll be on the road to slowly reversing the years of damage.

Yack.