PDA

View Full Version : Terrified to get a Colonoscopy/endoscopy

Njonnson
03-12-2015, 02:41 PM
My doctor believes I have IBS, but because Ive lost weight (12lbs) since my symptoms started...she sent me to a general surgeon to do a colonoscopy and endoscopy to make sure it isnt anything more concerning. I am terrified to get a colonoscopy. Im scared of perforation and hemorraging. I was also told I wont be put to sleep under general anesthesia, but I'll be in conscious sedation. Just looking for experiences with your procedure and what to expect afterwards. Ive read that abdominal cramps and bleeding can be common from the air pumped in your colon and if they take out a polyp or do a biopsy you can have some bleeding BUT those symptoms are also on the list of what to watch out for in cases of perforation and hemorraging. Ugh. Im also scared of choking/gagging on the scope for the endoscopy. Any comments on the procedure and wghat you felt afterwards is appreciated.

sweetpotato13
03-12-2015, 03:01 PM
I have had three colonoscopies. I had absolutely ZERO after effects, my tummy felt perfectly fine (as if nothing had happened), and the sedation was absolutely lovely.
I had absolutely NO awareness of being at all awake. After the procedure I was put in a recovery room and told to expel gas (no problem! LOL) and have felt great, all three times.
Please try not to worry, it's really not a big procedure at all. Will NO ONE have a bad story to tell you? Of course there must be a few..... but check out your doctor's reviews online before you make your appointment, see what others have to say about them, and then get your diagnosis. Feel better!

flipfleury
03-13-2015, 06:22 PM
My doctor believes I have IBS, but because Ive lost weight (12lbs) since my symptoms started...she sent me to a general surgeon to do a colonoscopy and endoscopy to make sure it isnt anything more concerning. I am terrified to get a colonoscopy. Im scared of perforation and hemorraging. I was also told I wont be put to sleep under general anesthesia, but I'll be in conscious sedation. Just looking for experiences with your procedure and what to expect afterwards. Ive read that abdominal cramps and bleeding can be common from the air pumped in your colon and if they take out a polyp or do a biopsy you can have some bleeding BUT those symptoms are also on the list of what to watch out for in cases of perforation and hemorraging. Ugh. Im also scared of choking/gagging on the scope for the endoscopy. Any comments on the procedure and wghat you felt afterwards is appreciated.

I have had both procedures with no complications afterwards. With the endoscopy, you will be given a spray to the back of your throat to numb it and then you will have an IV put in so that they can give you the medication to make you very sleepy and then they do the endoscopy. The whole procedure takes about 20-30 minutes. You will be awake soon afterwards but will need someone to drive you home. With the colonoscopy you can request to be put to sleep. I was given profpol by an IV and not too sleepy afterwards although you still need someone to drive you home afterwards. As far as the prep goes, I would take a drink of the prep and then a drink of Gatorade. Adding ice to the prep made it easier for me to get it down. Have a jar a Vaseline and baby wipes(alcohol free) close to the toilet. Putting Vaseline on rectal area before you start having multiple BM's helps to keep your rectum from getting very irritated and raw and the wipes help also. If you can get wipes with aloe vera in it helps as well. The only thing I had after the colonoscopy was that I passed lots of gas, which is perfectly normal. I hope this is helpful.

engineer1961
03-15-2015, 10:18 PM
Honestly I the conscious sedation is the best way to go..you generally don't remember anything from it. My husband has colitis...and has had 10 or more down, never having any side effects except gas. I'm sure perforations are extremely rare.

TinaO88
03-16-2015, 11:07 AM
I have had multiple colonoscopies, without any negative side effects. However, I was put under general anesthesia for all of them. The worst part to me by far was prepping for it.