It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Nerve damage or scarring issues after hand surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-22-2015, 11:23 AM   #1
    gemo
    (female)

gemo HB User
    Nerve damage or scarring issues after hand surgery

I had trigger finger surgery at the beginning of December. Since then the problem is 100 times worse and I have a lump where the scar is and intense sharp pain at times for a few seconds as well as a very tight feeling in my finger. I cannot use my hand for more than 10 mins for eg ironing. I also cannot put any pressure what so ever on my palm because of the scarring and pain. It feels occasionally like my finger has suddenly seized up and is like a very very tight elastic band for anything up to anhour or two at a time. There is no way this is normal. My GP sent me back for an ultrasound and the doctor said it doesn't look quite right and wasn't terribly clear to see. The surgeon said it could be a nerve problem or it could be bad scarring, so has sent me for an EMG which is next week. There was a black shadow around the tendon, so the ultrasound was far from normal compared to the tendon in the finger next to it. He said if it was scarring he may well do more surgery but then the problem of scarring may happen again. I am prone to scarring problems but this is really uncomfortable. Too little too late as he has only now sent me for physio, and have to try some scarring silicone everyday for 6 weeks. Has anyone gone down the same road please? This is a horrible and debilatating thing to have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: Nerve damage or scarring issues after hand surgery

I've had 3 hand/wrist surgeries. I highly recommend seeking out a certified hand therapist for your PT. Whether it is now or after surgery. It made a significant difference in my healing.

Good luck.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:25 AM   #3
    gemo
    (female)

gemo HB User
    Re: Nerve damage or scarring issues after hand surgery

Thank you. I am seeing a physiotherapist at the moment but really was waiting for todays EMG which has come back with a problem with the nerve. The pain is mildly better with the physio but that's it. It is not a major problem but looks like I need tp go back as see the Orhtopeadic doctor. I am not sure though whether nerve damage can only be sorted with surgery again? My quality of life isn't great when it comes to using my hand for more than 30 minutes or so isn't great. ai am unsure how nerve damage can be repaired?

Closed Thread