It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Rotator cuff syndrome and biceps tendinitis!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2015, 08:48 PM   #1
    Skygray
    (female)

Skygray HB User
    Rotator cuff syndrome and biceps tendinitis!

Hello everyone. Please help with answers. I went to see an Orthopedic surgeon about 6-8 weeks ago and was diagnosed with my headline topic. The problem was diagnosed in my right shoulder by way of X-ray. I was having pain in my left arm as well but not quite as bad as my right. I was given cortisone injections in both shoulders and a prescription of naproxen. I seemed to be fine for 2 almost 3 weeks and was given a prescription for P/T. My insurance was too expensive for me to attend so I pulled up some exercises to do at home online. I didn't do anything to strenuous or long because the pain would not allow me. It's been anothe 4 weeks later and I've tolerated the pain for so long until it is now unbearable. I don't get any sleep because both my arms hurt so bad. The pain has now moved all the way down to my elbows. In my right shoulder I can't stand to turn my head to look over my shoulder, it's so painful! When I awake from tossing and turning all night my arms are so stiff and heavy they ache so bad! I have taken ibuprofen, naproxen, Advil pm is the only thing that allows me to get a little sleep but NOTHING I take relieves the pain. I've also done the heating pad and tense unit. During the day at work I function because im not in a lot of pain but really sore. I called the orthopedic today and advised I'm so much worse and have an appointment in 3 days! I need an MRI this pain is not normal. I have a high tolerance for pain but this has become scary. What are your thoughts? Please help! Thanks

Last edited by Skygray; 05-01-2015 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Add comment

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2015, 04:54 AM   #2
    Haydena
    Inactive
    (female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
    Re: Rotator cuff syndrome and biceps tendinitis!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skygray View Post
    Hello everyone. Please help with answers. I went to see an Orthopedic surgeon about 6-8 weeks ago and was diagnosed with my headline topic. The problem was diagnosed in my right shoulder by way of X-ray. I was having pain in my left arm as well but not quite as bad as my right. I was given cortisone injections in both shoulders and a prescription of naproxen. I seemed to be fine for 2 almost 3 weeks and was given a prescription for P/T. My insurance was too expensive for me to attend so I pulled up some exercises to do at home online. I didn't do anything to strenuous or long because the pain would not allow me. It's been anothe 4 weeks later and I've tolerated the pain for so long until it is now unbearable. I don't get any sleep because both my arms hurt so bad. The pain has now moved all the way down to my elbows. In my right shoulder I can't stand to turn my head to look over my shoulder, it's so painful! When I awake from tossing and turning all night my arms are so stiff and heavy they ache so bad! I have taken ibuprofen, naproxen, Advil pm is the only thing that allows me to get a little sleep but NOTHING I take relieves the pain. I've also done the heating pad and tense unit. During the day at work I function because im not in a lot of pain but really sore. I called the orthopedic today and advised I'm so much worse and have an appointment in 3 days! I need an MRI this pain is not normal. I have a high tolerance for pain but this has become scary. What are your thoughts? Please help! Thanks
    Oh dear you are having a hard time with this pain. It sounds like there is inflammation around your shoulders. Heat will not help, as you have written, I suggest you try ice-packs. Ice is the best method to reduce inflammation & is much kinder to the body than steroids & meds.
    An MRI will shed light on your problem. Good luck & I wish you well.
    Haydena.

The Following User Says Thank You to Haydena For This Useful Post:
    sweetpotato13 (05-02-2015)
    Old 05-03-2015, 02:06 AM   #3
    Justintime44
    Veteran
    (female)

Justintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB User
    Re: Rotator cuff syndrome and biceps tendinitis!

I'm so sorry to hear all the pain you are experiencing. I encourage you to ask your doctor to prescribe additional pain medicine while you wait for the next step. You can take Tylenol in addition to NSAIDs, but it may not help much. Your doctor could prescibe Norco/Vicodan for pain, but then you cannot drive for six hours. I drive to work first, then take Norco, and then drive home about eight hours later. Some NSAIDS like Relafen are stronger than Aleve or Naprosen but not so hard on your stomache. there are other medications for nerve pain and muscles spasms, but you did not mention needing these.

You may also want to post on the Should board instead of the Arm, Hand & Wrist board. I am guessing your pain originates in your shoulders, and that the pain in your arms may be referred pain from your shoulders. However, I am not in the medical field, so I do not know. You can read other posts about rotator cuff injuries there and possibly receive responses from others with a similar condition. My 78-year old mom had torn rotator cuff surgery just a few weeks ago, and she is doing great! Luckily, she experienced very little pain afterwards for just 2-3 days. She's still in a shoulder/arm splint for six weeks total as her shoulder heals. then she'll begin PT to strengthen her shoulder.

I hope your doctor can help you with the pain soon. The MRI will help you and your doctor figure out your next step to healing. good luck!

K

May 2016 - Tarsal Tunnel Release surgery
    July 2014 - Talonavicular Fusion and Achilles Tendon Lengthening, same foot

Closed Thread