It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Swollen fingers after CMC/basal joint surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2015, 07:17 PM   #1
    stamm678
    (female)

stamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB User
    Swollen fingers after CMC/basal joint surgery

I had a trapeziectomy with ligamentous reconstruction (very similar to LRTI) done 5 months ago on my left hand. I find my fingers are still a bit swollen, to the point I can't get my wedding rings on easily. I estimate my finger is about half a size larger than before surgery.

Any idea how long the swelling might persist? I'm wondering whether to get my rings resized or not. I had this procedure done on my other hand a year ago but I so wear a ring on that hand I don't know when the swelling went down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
    Haydena
    Inactive
    (female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
    Re: Swollen fingers after CMC/basal joint surgery

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stamm678 View Post
    I had a trapeziectomy with ligamentous reconstruction (very similar to LRTI) done 5 months ago on my left hand. I find my fingers are still a bit swollen, to the point I can't get my wedding rings on easily. I estimate my finger is about half a size larger than before surgery.

Any idea how long the swelling might persist? I'm wondering whether to get my rings resized or not. I had this procedure done on my other hand a year ago but I so wear a ring on that hand I don't know when the swelling went down.
    Stamm, I would give more time to allow the swelling to go down, 5 months is too soon. If after 9 months to 1 year, your fingers are still swollen, I would contact the surgeon. Instead of enlarging your rings, could you not buy a simple wedding band? & hold off with your engagement ring?
    Remember no 2 surgeries are the same. I find that my right hand is slightly larger than my left hand, after having arthroplasty on both hands. It does'nt really bother me & no one has yet commented!
    Have you tried massaging your fingers in an upward motion? You could also apply Traumeel before the massage. Are you in any pain?
    Haydena.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
    stamm678
    (female)

stamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haydena View Post
    Stamm, I would give more time to allow the swelling to go down, 5 months is too soon. If after 9 months to 1 year, your fingers are still swollen, I would contact the surgeon. Instead of enlarging your rings, could you not buy a simple wedding band? & hold off with your engagement ring?
    Remember no 2 surgeries are the same. I find that my right hand is slightly larger than my left hand, after having arthroplasty on both hands. It does'nt really bother me & no one has yet commented!
    Have you tried massaging your fingers in an upward motion? You could also apply Traumeel before the massage. Are you in any pain?
    Haydena.
    Hi Haydena,

That 9-month recommendation makes sense to me - that's about when I really started to feel "normal" after my first surgery. I see my surgeon for my last follow-up appointment next week so I'll see what he has to say about swelling.

I haven't tried massage lately but I'll do that.

I'm in very little pain with my thumb, just some stiffness and then some aching after a do a lot of gardening. I had to cut way back on my exercises after I started to develop de Quervain's syndrome so that may account for the stiffness.

I'm pleased with how these surgeries have turned out. This is the first Spring in many years that I've been able to enjoy doing things in the garden. Thanks for all your advice and encouragement along the way - it helped a great deal!

Linda

Old 05-13-2015, 04:43 PM   #4
    stamm678
    (female)

I saw my surgeon for a follow-up today and he said it allow up to a year after surgery for full recovery, including the swollen fingers. He definitely advised not to resize my rings. Time to practice patience!

He agreed that I still have de Quervain's and gave me a steroid injection to see if that helps. Usually other avenues are tried first - specifically, immobilization with a splint - but the goal of surgery is to regain range of motion so splinting would take me backward. Fingers are crossed, hoping this goes away and I get on with the recovery.

The following user gives a hug of support to stamm678:
    tess201 (05-14-2015)
    Old 05-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #5
    Haydena
    Inactive
    (female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stamm678 View Post
    I saw my surgeon for a follow-up today and he said it allow up to a year after surgery for full recovery, including the swollen fingers. He definitely advised not to resize my rings. Time to practice patience!

He agreed that I still have de Quervain's and gave me a steroid injection to see if that helps. Usually other avenues are tried first - specifically, immobilization with a splint - but the goal of surgery is to regain range of motion so splinting would take me backward. Fingers are crossed, hoping this goes away and I get on with the recovery.
    I hope so too, Stamm.
    Thanks for your update.
    Good luck to you for complete & total recovery.
    Haydena.

The Following User Says Thank You to Haydena For This Useful Post:
    stamm678 (05-15-2015)
    Closed Thread