It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Cmc joint surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
    Flygirl
    (female)

Flygirl HB User
    Cmc joint surgery

I'm wondering if any one else out there is a Flight Attendant that's had surgery? My surgeon is optimistic about my return to work in 3 months. I'm almost 2 weeks post op.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #2
    teg01
    (female)

teg01 HB User
    Re: Cmc joint surgery

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
    I'm wondering if any one else out there is a Flight Attendant that's had surgery? My surgeon is optimistic about my return to work in 3 months. I'm almost 2 weeks post op.
    I have read posts from this site that many folks have returned to work full time. I am on my second day post op and do not have much advice other than to say hang in there.

Thelma

Old 05-20-2015, 06:06 AM   #3
    Flygirl
    (female)

Flygirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teg01 View Post
    I have read posts from this site that many folks have returned to work full time. I am on my second day post op and do not have much advice other than to say hang in there.

Thelma

Old 05-20-2015, 06:08 AM   #4
    Flygirl
    (female)

Flygirl HB User

Thanks Thelma, hope your healing goes well!

Old 05-20-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
    stamm678
    (female)

stamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB User

I'm not a flight attendant and don't have a job that requires physical work. That said, I think 3 months is feasible but you won't really know until you get closer to that point.

At 12 weeks post-surgery, I started doing light strength exercises (gripping with putty, light cable exercises). At 3 months, I was no longer wearing my splint for activities and started doing heavier strength training. I eased into all that fairly gradually to avoid putting too much stress on tendons (tendons take longer to regain strength than do muscles so it's easy to hurt them if you ramp up too quickly).

If you search some old threads here, you'll read about an auto mechanic (d j) who went back to work at 3 months. If I'm recalling correctly, in hindsight he thought that was a bit too early but he had to go back to work because of financial issues.

If you're typical, you'll start hand therapy at 6 weeks. Your therapist should be able to tell how you're progressing and when you'll be ready to go back to work.

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to stamm678 For This Useful Post:
    KatW (07-09-2015)
    Old 05-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #6
    Flygirl
    (female)

Flygirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stamm678 View Post
    I'm not a flight attendant and don't have a job that requires physical work. That said, I think 3 months is feasible but you won't really know until you get closer to that point.

At 12 weeks post-surgery, I started doing light strength exercises (gripping with putty, light cable exercises). At 3 months, I was no longer wearing my splint for activities and started doing heavier strength training. I eased into all that fairly gradually to avoid putting too much stress on tendons (tendons take longer to regain strength than do muscles so it's easy to hurt them if you ramp up too quickly).

If you search some old threads here, you'll read about an auto mechanic (d j) who went back to work at 3 months. If I'm recalling correctly, in hindsight he thought that was a bit too early but he had to go back to work because of financial issues.

If you're typical, you'll start hand therapy at 6 weeks. Your therapist should be able to tell how you're progressing and when you'll be ready to go back to work.

Good luck!

Closed Thread