It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

  • Cmc joint surgery

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 05-13-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
    Flygirl
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: May 2015
    Posts: 7
    Flygirl HB User
    Cmc joint surgery

    I'm wondering if any one else out there is a Flight Attendant that's had surgery? My surgeon is optimistic about my return to work in 3 months. I'm almost 2 weeks post op.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 05-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #2
    teg01
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jun 2014
    Location: Virginia
    Posts: 31
    teg01 HB User
    Re: Cmc joint surgery

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
    I'm wondering if any one else out there is a Flight Attendant that's had surgery? My surgeon is optimistic about my return to work in 3 months. I'm almost 2 weeks post op.
    I have read posts from this site that many folks have returned to work full time. I am on my second day post op and do not have much advice other than to say hang in there.

    Thelma

     
    Old 05-20-2015, 06:06 AM   #3
    Flygirl
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: May 2015
    Posts: 7
    Flygirl HB User
    Re: Cmc joint surgery

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teg01 View Post
    I have read posts from this site that many folks have returned to work full time. I am on my second day post op and do not have much advice other than to say hang in there.

    Thelma

     
    Old 05-20-2015, 06:08 AM   #4
    Flygirl
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: May 2015
    Posts: 7
    Flygirl HB User
    Re: Cmc joint surgery

    Thanks Thelma, hope your healing goes well!

     
    Old 05-20-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
    stamm678
    Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2014
    Posts: 93
    stamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB User
    Re: Cmc joint surgery

    I'm not a flight attendant and don't have a job that requires physical work. That said, I think 3 months is feasible but you won't really know until you get closer to that point.

    At 12 weeks post-surgery, I started doing light strength exercises (gripping with putty, light cable exercises). At 3 months, I was no longer wearing my splint for activities and started doing heavier strength training. I eased into all that fairly gradually to avoid putting too much stress on tendons (tendons take longer to regain strength than do muscles so it's easy to hurt them if you ramp up too quickly).

    If you search some old threads here, you'll read about an auto mechanic (d j) who went back to work at 3 months. If I'm recalling correctly, in hindsight he thought that was a bit too early but he had to go back to work because of financial issues.

    If you're typical, you'll start hand therapy at 6 weeks. Your therapist should be able to tell how you're progressing and when you'll be ready to go back to work.

    Good luck!

     
    The Following User Says Thank You to stamm678 For This Useful Post:
    KatW (07-09-2015)
    Old 05-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #6
    Flygirl
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: May 2015
    Posts: 7
    Flygirl HB User
    Re: Cmc joint surgery

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stamm678 View Post
    I'm not a flight attendant and don't have a job that requires physical work. That said, I think 3 months is feasible but you won't really know until you get closer to that point.

    At 12 weeks post-surgery, I started doing light strength exercises (gripping with putty, light cable exercises). At 3 months, I was no longer wearing my splint for activities and started doing heavier strength training. I eased into all that fairly gradually to avoid putting too much stress on tendons (tendons take longer to regain strength than do muscles so it's easy to hurt them if you ramp up too quickly).

    If you search some old threads here, you'll read about an auto mechanic (d j) who went back to work at 3 months. If I'm recalling correctly, in hindsight he thought that was a bit too early but he had to go back to work because of financial issues.

    If you're typical, you'll start hand therapy at 6 weeks. Your therapist should be able to tell how you're progressing and when you'll be ready to go back to work.

    Good luck!

     
    Closed Thread




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:04 PM.





    2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!