It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• TFCC Sprain From Typing?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
    wristbrace
    (male)

wristbrace HB User
    TFCC Sprain From Typing?

hello -

a couple months ago i started to feel minor pain in my right wrist to my hand. i ignored it and thought maybe it was sore from the gym. ive had no injuries, falls or sudden pain. the pain got more intense so i saw a hand/wrist doctor a few days ago and he said i had a TFCC sprain from typing. Typing?! he said the way i was typing was putting stress on my wrist - and now i have it a bit in my left wrist.

all of the research ive done it looks like TFCC sprains are from injuries but i had no injury. does that make sense to anyone? he said an xray or mri wasnt necessary because it was just cartilage and it was minor. i am not in terrible pain - there is no clicking, popping, i have full range of motion but it is uncomfortable and now i am nervous when i type, especially because i am on a computer for work all the time. i cant lift heavy things without feeling discomfort and the gym is out of the question.

i am wearing a wrist brace now .. but has anyone heard of a TFCC sprain from typing? any tips on healing? how many hours a day should i wear this brace? how long does it take to heal?

my left thumb is sore too but he said that is unrelated.

The following user gives a hug of support to wristbrace:
    MountainReader (06-12-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2015, 10:12 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: TFCC Sprain From Typing?

It probably happens more than people realize. It may not be from typing alone, but from a combination of small movements that cause 'microtears' to develop which get worse over time. Once inflamed, it can be take a while for the TFCC area to heal. I don't consider anything TFCC to be 'minor'. It is painful/bothersome and can impact quality of life.

The timeframe for healing really depends on the severity of your issue. I had a very long road trying to get mine healed up. I wore a couple different braces and didn't find they did much for me other than preventing me from making some of the movements that hurt.

There is one 'splint' device that I found to be extremely helpful without being as confining like traditional ones since I still had full ROM with it. It doesn't look like much, but it was developed by a Physical Therapist and it really can help if you wear it 24/7 over time. It is called a Wrist Widget. When you read up on how it works, it does make sense. I had a black one, but they now have color choices.

Hope something starts working for you.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:54 AM   #3
    momzworkin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User

Triangular fibrocartilage complex (TFCC) is usually a result of something traumatic or continued repetitive incorrect use, and degenerative changes in the side of your wrist by your pinkie finger. You don't give your age, but that can play a part.
    I have never, ever heard of typing causing this injury in and of itself. It may just be degenerative.
    What did he tell you he could do for you? If it is really inflamed you might try a steroid injection or two. Physical therapy could help, but mostly finding the correct splint and keeping it immobile is the best course of action for now.
    09/2011: re-tore shoulder in PT- lost 30% function in shoulder
    06/2013: diagnosed with failure of L2-L3-L4

Old 07-06-2015, 02:19 PM   #4
    wristbrace
    (male)

wristbrace HB User

momzworkin - I am 38. My doctor said it was from incorrectly typing all these years. He said to wear this big wrist brace for a couple months. I am wearing a different wrist brace now. Would degenerative changes happen at 38? I've never had any wrist or hand problems before. he seemed to think it was too severe and didn't ask for x-rays.

MountainReader - i bought two wrist widgets - because I also feel it on my left wrist but not as much as I do on the right - and while i dont feel much pain when I am wearing it, which is a relief (despite the feeling of cutting off circulation sometimes) and I can tell it is helping the healing process. but maybe it is too soon - I got it on June 15th. At one point did you see improvement? did you find they slipped off a lot? i am always repositioning it. at night it is especially tough so I wear a futuro wrist brace over it. how many hours a day did you wear them? do you have a tips to wash them?

any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 07-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #5
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Hi wristbrace,

From what I read, it can take several months wearing a wrist widget to 'heal'. It is specifically designed for TFCC problems. I watched an internet video that showed how to properly wear one before I received mine. I did wear mine 24/7, except when washing it. To wash, I either just hand washed and air dried or I put it into a 'delicates' bag in the washing machine on cold and air dried it.

I don't remember a lot of slipping with the splint. I did find I had to experiment with the best way to wear it in the beginning though. I found it helped with the pain in my day-to-day activities.

My issues were a bit different than yours and I ended up needing surgery. Not for full TFCC tears, but to take care of issues that were keeping my TFCC area inflamed to the point they couldn't heal. I had debridement to remove debris and scar tissue. I also found out via x-ray that I had ulnar impingement that basically made it so I didn't have enough room for all the bones to move around in that area so the TFCC area was 'pinched' with movement and stayed inflamed. A second surgery shortened my ulnar bone. Without the 'pinching' it allowed my wrist to finally heal.

I understand about the age and degeneration thing. When I was 38, I had my first surgery on my shoulder. I did nothing to injure it, but it became painful, inflamed and I lost my ROM. Thankfully, by addressing the issue and being diligent in my PT work, I regained full use of both my shoulder and wrist. It just took time and patience.

Good luck.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:18 PM   #6
    wristbrace
    (male)

wristbrace HB User

Thanks for your feedback - it helps.

The following user gives a hug of support to wristbrace:
    MountainReader (07-09-2015)
    Old 07-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #7
    BUD778
    (male)

BUD778 HB User

I was casted in a long arm cast before and after surgery for almost a year combined. I felt the cast helped the pain. good luck~

Old 09-09-2015, 05:37 PM   #8
    wristbrace
    (male)

wristbrace HB User

hi all - I was misdiagnosed. I don't have a TFCC tear, I have tendinitis in my wrists.

I am currently in physical therapy and the therapist said that I should ice my wrists. But my primary care doctor said I should use heat - and icing could be the reason why I haven't healed yet. Most sites I saw online are saying ice but my primary care doctor is insistent that heat will help me heal because it will create blood flow, which is what helps to heal tendinitis. Now I am confused ... what do you recommend? Icing or heat for tendinitis of the wrist?

has anyone had any experience with tendinitis of the wrists?

Closed Thread