It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Basal Joint Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
    Piano0105
    Veteran
    (female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User
    Basal Joint Question

I have been putting off surgery as long as possible. I've noticed in the last few days that I have pretty bad pain in my upper arm. Does anyone know if basal joint pain can travel up the arm?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
    cbl1947
    (female)

cbl1947 HB User
    Re: Basal Joint Question

I have had occasional pain in part of my forearm, presumably from my thumb. Does the pain travel from your forearm all the way into your upper arm? That seems like an awfully long way for the pain to travel because of an arthritic thumb. Like you, I have been putting off surgery. Just saw my hand surgeon today. And still very conflicted. I guess I'll have to wait until the pain gets so bad I can't stand it! Good luck to you, & keep us posted on your progress if you do have the surgery.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
    teg01
    (female)

teg01 HB User

I had pain in my forearm before I had my cmc arthroplasty. I have not had that kind of pain since surgery.

Last edited by teg01; 06-26-2015 at 01:38 PM.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:36 AM   #4
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User

Are you referring to the place on the arm between the elbow and hand? If so, that muscle is connected to the thumb joint so it would not seem unlikely to have pain in that area. I did not have this extended pain until after my CMC surgery and that is an area where my OT massages as well.

Tess

Old 06-27-2015, 05:45 AM   #5
    Fanferrillo
    (female)

Fanferrillo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Piano0105 View Post
    I have been putting off surgery as long as possible. I've noticed in the last few days that I have pretty bad pain in my upper arm. Does anyone know if basal joint pain can travel up the arm?
    I had the CMC Basil joint surgery May 7th of this year. (2015) I had a half cast wrapped with an ace bandage for two weeks then a cast for a few weeks. Sad I can't remember how long I had it on!! When it came off it was absolutely disgusting. My skin looked "thick". I couldn't stand looking at it. It was just soft dead skin, so I just peeled it all off. My first day of therapy the therapist said let's take this off and clean up your hand (a half cast again) I just looked at her and said it is clean. She was a bit suprised. Maybe other people don't clean their's off? Yuk. Anyway, I have been out of work since May and go to therapy three times a week. I have really come along good. I need to get back to work before 12 weeks or...anyway, I know I won't be able to preform all the functions of my job but I sure am going to try!! My therapist gave me exercises to do at home so I have been working hard. Before I had my surgery my pain went up to my elbow and sometimes it was really intense. When I told my Dr. he just looked at me weird. SOOOO yes, it does happen!! Hope everything is going okay with your thumb. If you need the surgery get it. It's not bad at all. Really

Old 06-27-2015, 08:11 AM   #6
    Piano0105
    Veteran
    (female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User

Thanks for the replies. I have nerve pain that shoots up my forearm, however, the pain I'm currently concerned about is my upper arm muscle into my shoulder. I guess it's probably something else -- will have to look into that as well.

Closed Thread