It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Is This Progress?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-01-2015, 06:33 AM   #1
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User
    Is This Progress?

I had CMC surgery 3/3 so I'm 4 months out. I thought I was initially doing well but now I feel that I'm at a standstill. My hand is still very achy and I have sharp pains in various places, especially my middle finger. I have been doing OT and carrying through with "at home" exercises as well. I am using my hand more, not necessarily comfortably, but perhaps that is creating the pain and stiffness I'm experiencing.

Any thoughts from others who have had this surgery?

Tess

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
    stamm678
    (female)

stamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB User
    Re: Is This Progress?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tess201 View Post
    I had CMC surgery 3/3 so I'm 4 months out. I thought I was initially doing well but now I feel that I'm at a standstill. My hand is still very achy and I have sharp pains in various places, especially my middle finger. I have been doing OT and carrying through with "at home" exercises as well. I am using my hand more, not necessarily comfortably, but perhaps that is creating the pain and stiffness I'm experiencing.

Any thoughts from others who have had this surgery?

Tess
    I'm about 6.5 months out after my second surgery and my thumb is still fairly stiff and a little achy at times. I've been very actively using that hand since 3-4 months post-surgery.

I had surgery on my other hand 14 months ago and that is great. No pain, only very occasional mild aching after I do a lot with it. I'd say I hit a plateau at about month 12 in terms of improvement and now I'm stable.

Based on my experience, you should still expect mild pain and stiffness for a several months. Even at 8 months after my first surgery, I was a little stiff and achy.

The sharp pains are unusual (based on my experience). I had that kind of pain for the first two months but that's it.

I do know from personal experience that overdoing it can lead to more pain and tendinitis. Do you have a follow-up scheduled with your doctor? What does your therapist have to say?

Linda

The Following User Says Thank You to stamm678 For This Useful Post:
    tess201 (07-01-2015)
    Old 07-01-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
    Haydena
    Inactive
    (female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
    Re: Is This Progress?

Tess, if it hurts, stop. That was my mantra with both my hands after surgery. 4 months is still too soon to have full use of your hand, after surgery.
    Sounds like you have been over using your hand.
    I suggest you place your entire hand in a bowel of water, as hot as you can take, move your fingers & wrist in circles, for at least 10 minutes, 3 times a day. This will ease your muscles, tendons & ligaments. Dry your hand & apply any good hand cream & rest your hand. Try not to use your hand for any strenious tasks for about 1 week & see how your hand feels then.
    Keep us informed. I wish you well.
    Haydena.

Last edited by Haydena; 07-01-2015 at 09:32 AM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haydena For This Useful Post:
    stamm678 (07-01-2015),tess201 (07-01-2015)
    Closed Thread