It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Sprained wrist working out

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-01-2015, 07:38 PM   #1
    jjrock
    (male)

jjrock HB User
    Sprained wrist working out

I sprained my wrist pretty bad (no swelling, but had a lot of pain while moving it) about a month ago, went to the doctor a couple days after the incident. The pain has gone down after my doctor prescribed me Ibuprofen 400mg. My doctor at first told me it was probably a swollen tendon. I was sent to get an X-Ray and bone scan. Once I got the results I was told I need to get another X-Ray done along with a CAT Scan. Because there might be ligament damage and possibly a tear, but probably not a tear according to the doctor.

I forgot to ask my doctor, but what can a CAT scan reveal that a bone scan can't? Because from what I've read online a bone scan should reveal ligament damage.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2015, 04:25 AM   #2
    Haydena
    Inactive
    (female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
    Re: Sprained wrist working out

CAT scans are suited for bone injuries (lung & chest imaging & cancer detection) CAT scans outline bones inside the body accurately.

Bone scan; a nuclear imaging test that helps diagnose & track several types of bone diseases. For unexplained skeletal pain, bone infection or bone injury.

MRI; magnetic resonance imaging. Suited for soft tissue evaluation, ligament & tendon injury, spinal cord injury, brain tumors.

You should ask your doctor for an MRI, which will show if you have pulled a tendon or a ligament.

Tendons & ligaments can heal in time.

I wish you well.
    Haydena.

The Following User Says Thank You to Haydena For This Useful Post:
    jjrock (07-03-2015)
    Old 07-02-2015, 11:05 AM   #3
    jjrock
    (male)

jjrock HB User

My doctor said it was the bone scan clinic that said I should get a CAT scan. I'm just curious why would they recommend a CAT scan over a MRI then?

Old 07-02-2015, 04:19 PM   #4
    Haydena
    Inactive
    (female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Because a Cat Scan is much cheaper than an MRI.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #5
    jjrock
    (male)

jjrock HB User

Am I basically wasting my time getting a CAT scan then? Or can it still help? Thank you for answering my questions!

Old 07-03-2015, 06:31 AM   #6
    Haydena
    Inactive
    (female)

Here, where I live, doctors usually first ask for CAT Scans, to save the money of a MRI. If no results are found, only then do they ask for an MRI, which as I told you is a very expensive test. I don't know what kind of health insurance you have.
    (You can research the difference between all the 3 tests; there are many good sites on the internet, for this)
    Go ahead have the CAT scan & the bone scan, see what the results are, if any.
    You are not loosing anything by having the tests! An MRI would be the next test, you'd more than likely be told to have.
    In the meantime try not to over-use your hand.
    Do you feel a tight knot-like feeling where your pain is? is the area hard when you touch it?
    Reason I am asking you is because I pulled a tendon in my left wrist & remember only too well, that awful pain.
    Haydena.

jjrock (07-03-2015)
    Old 07-03-2015, 01:48 PM   #7
    jjrock
    (male)

jjrock HB User

I'm in Canada, the tests will be covered for me. Its not a tight knot or hard when I touch it. The pain is on the ulnar side of the wrist, and it hurts the most when I try to lift something with a supinated grip. There is also pain when I turn my wrist, although the pain has gone down so turning my wrist isn't really a problem anymore.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:17 PM   #8
    Haydena
    Inactive
    (female)

Sounds like you have tendon problems. You have med insurance, go for that CAT scan, see what the results are. The hand/wrist is very complicated.
    An ice pack may help your pain, never place the ice pack directly onto your skin.
    Let us know your progress. I wish you well.
    Haydena.

jjrock (07-04-2015)
    Old 07-03-2015, 09:41 PM   #9
    jjrock
    (male)

jjrock HB User

I just have to wait for my doctor to book the scan. Thanks for your help again.

Closed Thread