It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• CMC Arthroplasty

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-05-2015, 06:44 AM   #1
    SusyinFlorida
    (female)

SusyinFlorida HB User
    CMC Arthroplasty

Here is a recent report. Would be happy for new discussion with current patients:
    5 plus weeks out from LRTI (CMC arthroplasty with tendon transfer) on left, dominant hand. It has been pretty brutal, but X-rays show the surgery to be in good shape. Hand is stiff, painful and unusable. Just went on 2 weeks of Prednisone to get swelling down. Did first week of physio therapy. Working consistently at home.

I am 68. Surgery on May 27. 10 days in bulky bandages with Cold Therapy sleeve inserted. This pumps cool water through continuously. A must have. You can use until you get stitches out. Then, into hard cast. Super uncomfortable. I think it was too tight. Went back for a new one, but still the pain. Lots of pain in wrist, which I think is result of the surgery and immobilization. At week 4, that came off and into splint. Still could use pain meds, but am not getting them. I am a migrainier and very sensitive to pain.

TIPS:
    Females wear skirts with no underwear for ease in bathroom. Take mild laxative first week if you are taking opiate pain killers.

I only did sponge baths with husband help for first 4 weeks. Good enough. Had hair washed in sink. Did not want to deal with covering post-op bandage, and a waterproof hard cast. Did get a professional pedicure. Nice to have feet massaged and cleaned.

Use microwave hot pads lots. No proof that they help with healing, but they sure feel good. Don’t use ice after you get out of hard cast. Not good for raw nerves. Also, the contrast cold and hot baths reported on before are now contraindicated. Too traumatic on healing tissue.

In kitchen, have Styrofoam cups, plastic bowls. Much easier for lifting.

I use “meditation for pain” CD’s on my MP3 player with headphones. Can be a relief and at least can lull you to sleep.

Once you are out of cast, do lots of massaging with oils and cocoa butter/with E on hand and fingers—always stroking down toward elbow to move lymphatic fluid out of hand.

Elevate hand above heart as much as possible, but watch out for shoulder and elbow stress.

No, doctors never educated me on this tough recovery process. One tough part is the mental. You just feel your hand and health is so vulnerable. Don’t want any slipups on damaging the surgery aspects. I am hoping getting to week 6 will make me feel tougher.

The following user gives a hug of support to SusyinFlorida:
    teresa83 (08-27-2015)
    The Following User Says Thank You to SusyinFlorida For This Useful Post:
    KatW (07-09-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
    Fl0werP0wer
    (female)

Fl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB User
    Re: CMC Arthroplasty

You are doing fantastic! Typical procedure in the Midwest is one week surgical dressing, two weeks cast, three weeks splint, start ot 4 to 5 weeks. Takes months to start to feel like your hand might be normal some day,lol.
    Stiffness in wrist goes on for quite a while. Don't push the therapy, it will set you back with pain and swelling. Soak I warm water and gently move ginger and wrist. Strength, pinch,grip, and dexterity come back fairly slowly, 6 months for the whole recovery. It would be almost impossible to damage the surgery at this point. Don't forget to move the elbow and shoulder thorough through range of motion.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fl0werP0wer For This Useful Post:
    KatW (07-09-2015),SusyinFlorida (07-06-2015)
    Closed Thread