It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Painful cords sticking out under my arm

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-10-2015, 04:43 AM   #1
    lazyjane
    (female)

lazyjane HB User
    Painful cords sticking out under my arm

Hello,
    I am just new here so I apologise if I am posting this question in the wrong place. I actually donīt know what is wrong with me, so wasnīt sure where to put this....
    Around about a month ago, I started to notice a pain under my left arm, and within a few days, I noticed that there looked like a tendon or a cord of some description sticking out in my armpit. It was painful to touch and painful when I had to stretch, or lift my arm above my head. I am abroad at the moment and so couldnīt see a doctor, but I was able to go to the local A&E where a few doctors looked at it and prescribed me paracetamol and an anti-inflammatory, but werenīt entirely sure what it was. They said that it should get better in a fortnight or so. Two weeks have passed and my arm is no better at all. The pain has now spread down my arm, almost to my elbow, and when I lift my arm up, the īcordī is very prominent. When I touch it, I can feel it īpullingī all the way along my arm. There is a dull ache there almost all of the time, and other times it feels like it is a burning sensation in my upper arm. I am extremely worried about it as it is not improving. I havenīt done anything strenuous or physical that I could think would have caused this. The only thing that I can find online is something called Axillary Web Syndrome, but that appears to be a complication that follows an operation, and I havenīt had anything like that. I am a 38 year old female in otherwise good health. I hope that someone can help me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2015, 07:35 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Painful cords sticking out under my arm

First, welcome to the boards! I would be concerned that this is a blood clot in a superficial vein. This can be diagnosed by Doppler ultrasound which will show the clot if one exists. Clots will feel like cords, and they can occur in any location. It sounds like it is extending down the vein, so I would go to an ER where an ultrasound would be available. This may require anti-coagulant therapy. If it is a clot, you should also see a hematologist for testing to see why you would develop a clot spontaneously in your arm. If you have a clotting disorder, prevention is mandatory.

Closed Thread