It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Central TFCC Tear/Ulnar Impaction Syndrome

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2015, 06:40 PM   #16
    CameraGirl1112
    (female)

CameraGirl1112 HB User
    Re: Central TFCC Tear/Ulnar Impaction Syndrome

Hey all. Just had surgery this morning. The surgeon ended up doing general anesthesia on me and a nerve block. The nerve block is beginning to wear off already. I'm afraid of the pain to be honest. I only had my ulna shortened, and am in a short arm splint, will be in a fiberglass cast in two weeks.

The following user gives a hug of support to CameraGirl1112:
    MountainReader (09-29-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2015, 06:57 PM   #17
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Keep elevated, ice, and take your pain meds on schedule. You can get through it. Glad everything went well for you.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:58 PM   #18
    CameraGirl1112
    (female)

CameraGirl1112 HB User

Thank you! Icing as we speak.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:40 PM   #19
    CameraGirl1112
    (female)

CameraGirl1112 HB User

Just got my hard cast put on today. My staples were removed (yes staples) and my incision is still open a bit. Steri strips were put on, and I go back in two weeks for a new hard cast.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:58 PM   #20
    BUD778
    (male)

BUD778 HB User

Did they make it a full or short arm? Hope your healing fast! I was way more comfortable after stitches came out the long arm cast went on.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:36 AM   #21
    CameraGirl1112
    (female)

CameraGirl1112 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUD778 View Post
    Did they make it a full or short arm? Hope your healing fast! I was way more comfortable after stitches came out the long arm cast went on.
    Hello! It's a short arm cast. Actually, it's quite short. It's about almost 3/4 the length of my forearm, and my incision is actually peeking out a bit from my cast. I don't think that it's long enough, but when I said something to the nurse who was putting it on, she didn't say anything. My bone is actually hurting quite a lot at the end of the cast where my incision is showing.

The staples were causing a bit of pulling pain, and that's gone now, but other than that, I'm still having some pretty deep pain & bad sharp pains here and there.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:09 AM   #22
    CameraGirl1112
    (female)

CameraGirl1112 HB User

Did anyone have k-wires put in along with the screws and plate? I guess I have two k wires (pins) in my ulna as well. Everything that I read on them says that they get removed & that they stick out of the skin. I don't have anything sticking out of my skin, and they didn't say anything about having them removed?

Old 10-14-2015, 11:31 AM   #23
    BUD778
    (male)

BUD778 HB User

id call and tell them, it could cause a infection, I got one from the staples, also Id ask for a long arm cast so ur In comfort, I cant believe they let u leave with one with the incision showing smh

Old 11-02-2015, 06:26 AM   #24
    CameraGirl1112
    (female)

CameraGirl1112 HB User

I'm getting a new cast again tomorrow (11/3). This second one they put on is immobilizing my thumb and causing a lot of pain... I can't even do my finger exercises I'm supposed to be doing. So after this I'll have this new one for a week, and then I'll be cast free! My incision is still open as of right now, so I'm hoping that it'll be okay in a week to have my cast off.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:40 PM   #25
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Make sure to take some pain meds or anti-inflammatories before the casting. I remember it hurt a lot after the fact with each of my castings. I'm sure you learned that though.

I got my second cast replaced because of thumb pain too. Weird since it is not even on the same side as the surgery. I was able to tolerate the surgical stuff more than that thumb pain.

Good luck at your appointment.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:33 AM   #26
    CameraGirl1112
    (female)

CameraGirl1112 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
    Make sure to take some pain meds or anti-inflammatories before the casting. I remember it hurt a lot after the fact with each of my castings. I'm sure you learned that though.

I got my second cast replaced because of thumb pain too. Weird since it is not even on the same side as the surgery. I was able to tolerate the surgical stuff more than that thumb pain.

Good luck at your appointment.

Yeah, the thumb pain was awful. So I got this one today, and it's a bit better. It'll do until next Tuesday, at least. I'm getting a blood clot under my forearm. It's puffy and hard, and I have to massage it out when I get my cast off. Ew!

MountainReader (11-04-2015)
    Old 11-09-2015, 05:14 AM   #27
    CameraGirl1112
    (female)

CameraGirl1112 HB User

Getting my cast off for good tomorrow! (11/10)

MountainReader (11-10-2015)
    Old 11-11-2015, 05:35 AM   #28
    CameraGirl1112
    (female)

CameraGirl1112 HB User

I got my cast off, so now I'm just in a removable splint. My splint is digging into my scar, though, so I have to go get it adjusted today sometime. My osteotomy site is completely healed, there are just a couple places that need to heal still from the pins they placed and then removed to hold the bone during the procedure. He says six weeks of therapy and I should be good, although I'm still having ulnar-sided pain. He said that that's normal, though, because my tear in my TFCC was so huge. My first day of O.T. is on Friday morning. I see the doctor again in six weeks.

MountainReader (11-12-2015)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    hand surgery, ulnar shortening complications, wrist injury