It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Ulnar shortening query

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #1
    NowMrJJ
    (male)

NowMrJJ HB User
    Ulnar shortening query

Hi all,

Firstly let me say I am so glad i have found this site. So far I have found loads of useful info as I have my ulnar shortening osteotomy (USO) booked in 5 days time with my pre-op assessment tomorrow.

I have founds tonnes of useful info but I'm now starting to realise everyone is different.

The main thing I'm finding is the difference in recovery and outcomes with different types and lengths of immobilisation.

So far Im being led to believe that those with some form of above elbow immobilisation in the initial stages have better outcomes compared to those with only below elbow who seem to have had more pain, less motion, and in some cases delayed or mal-union of the ulna as well as more pain or issues with the plate or surgery site.

In the next 4 days I am intrigued to delve into this a bit more as if I think elbow immobilisation would help me, I might have to insist on this with my own doc?!?!?!

Thanks in advance for advice and help.

JJ

Last edited by Administrator; 09-20-2015 at 02:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: Ulnar shortening query

My bone healed just fine with a short arm cast.

Are you having any other work done?

Old 09-20-2015, 10:31 PM   #3
    NowMrJJ
    (male)

NowMrJJ HB User

Thanks.

I've had 2 previous ops when TFCC repairs were carried out with some bone debridement too so think it's only the USO on Friday although I'll check this at pre op today.

It's good that short cast worked for you as most people I have discussed this with had done form of issue possibly as a result of too much twisting movement maybe. You say you've had the plate removed - was this a result of pain or plate site issues or just a natural progression in follow ups?

Old 09-21-2015, 12:52 AM   #4
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Actually. My plate came a bit loose and was. Causing pain still in the tfcc area. I had it removed about seven months post opened. With how close it is to the surface, I'm sure I would have had it removed eventually. I hear it can get quite cold in the winter without a lot of body fat over it. At least that is what my surgeons said. I do know my ROM has been much better since plate removal. Chronic inflammation healed too.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:45 AM   #5
    NowMrJJ
    (male)

NowMrJJ HB User

Sounds good. Most people I've spoken to have said that plate needs to come out but those who had above elbow casting (small number) had less problems with pain and no need for plate removal. Coming loose seems to be an issue - I wonder if it's due to too much movement post op causing the screws to loosen. I'm keen for as much immobilisation as poss - certainly to restrict twisting action of wrist. Any ulnar fracture would receive above elbow casting so find it strange this surgery doesn't follow same principle.

This could be an awkward convo to have with doc. Lol

Old 09-21-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
    CameraGirl1112
    (female)

CameraGirl1112 HB User

Can I ask what kind of repairs you had on your TFCC? I had a central tear, and they can't repair mine, only debride it, and I'm kind of worried that there's just going to be a hole in my ligament?

Old 09-21-2015, 02:26 PM   #7
    NowMrJJ
    (male)

NowMrJJ HB User

After previous injuries I've had 2 surgeries. Both arthroscopic repairs. It was loose part of the cartilage and from my understanding I no longer have the central part of the TFCC. This was always a concern. Doc said he repaired as best he could and warned me of the possibility of ulnar impaction. It was bad so the 2nd surgery was to tidy the cartilage more and debridement some bone from the end of the ulna. That was 4yrs ago and clearly hasn't helped either hence the need for the osteotomy. Doc reckons he'll be taking as much as 5mm off this coming Fri. :-(

Old 09-22-2015, 05:19 AM   #8
    CameraGirl1112
    (female)

CameraGirl1112 HB User

Wow! 5mm? Mine will only be 3 mm! How did your post-op go? The doctor that I saw was trying to convince me to get a different surgery, kinda weird. He seemed like he didn't really know what he was talking about.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:33 AM   #9
    NowMrJJ
    (male)

NowMrJJ HB User

Pre-op went well. Mainly nurses for health check. Hopefully I'll see doc on Fri b4 op

Old 09-25-2015, 01:31 PM   #10
    BUD778
    (male)

BUD778 HB User

The Long arm cast keeps the wrist from twisting after tfcc repair. I would def reccomend it

Old 09-26-2015, 06:25 AM   #11
    NowMrJJ
    (male)

NowMrJJ HB User

Had surgery yesterday afternoon and ended up being kept in overnight for obs. Been beyond painful and pain meds not quite nipping it unless I just rest it stable and do not move.
    Home now so just getting settled. Back to post op check up on Wednesday. Will hard cast then too. I'm sure I'll cope but not good with pain. Lol

Movements def not good and there are twisting motions from elbow which must be putting pressure on plate. I do hope it gets better or I'll be asking for a full arm cast for a couple of weeks.

Didn't sleep at all last night. Either from all the anaesthetic or insomnia caused by tramadol?!?!?

I'll try to update as often as I can.

J

The following user gives a hug of support to NowMrJJ:
    Fl0werP0wer (09-27-2015)
    Old 09-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #12
    Pa954
    (female)

Pa954 HB User

Hi I'm new here. I just had an ulnar osteotomy and wrist artoscopy and debreidment on 9/25/15. I'm not really sure what they found when they went in. I have my follow up on Thursday and am hoping for details then. I was hoping to see how everyone recovers from this. My injury was at work back in May and the doctors took the, sit and wait approach to see if it would heal. I was splinted, then in a cast, a wrist widget, and had a steroid injection. When it didn't heal they opted for surgery. I'm a paramedic so I've been out of work since the Injury. My surgeon said to expect 4 months to recover and rehab before I could return to work. This is my right wrist and I'm right handed.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:21 AM   #13
    CameraGirl1112
    (female)

CameraGirl1112 HB User

Just checking in to see how you're feeling today. I can keep my pain under control if I keep up with the pain meds and I wear my sling if I'm out.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:27 AM   #14
    NowMrJJ
    (male)

NowMrJJ HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CameraGirl1112 View Post
    Just checking in to see how you're feeling today. I can keep my pain under control if I keep up with the pain meds and I wear my sling if I'm out.
    Hey. I'm not too bad. Pain not good though. Worse than I expected. Can't wear a sling as the movement of my arm close to my body causes more pain. Even slight twisting of arm/elbow creates so much pain. I've resorted to resting on couch with arm propped up high by my side.
    I was back for check up today. Had backslab removed and a hard cast applied. Feels a little better but still painful. Hoping this helps. Back in 6 weeks for check up again.
    Fingers crossed it gets better for you. When you back to see your doc?

Old 09-30-2015, 09:29 AM   #15
    BUD778
    (male)

BUD778 HB User

Did the dr do a long arm cast or short? hows it feel in the cast? Mine hurt for a three weeks.

Closed Thread

Tags
    cast, osteotomy, recovery expectation, ulnar