It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Power Sanding For 1 Week - Not Sure If I Should Work Tomorrow

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-08-2015, 07:25 AM   #1
    reckless1
    (male)

reckless1 HB User
    Power Sanding For 1 Week - Not Sure If I Should Work Tomorrow

I power-sanded huge metal sheets Monday - Friday last week, unknowingly using a death-grip way too much, and generally tended to apply a lot of pressure that focused on my middle finger where it meets the palm. I'd go in one and a half hour intervals with 5 minute smoke breaks in between for about 5 hours total.

On Monday, it was already hurting, by Friday my middle finger feels and looks sorta fat/numb, and I can't bend it all the way down to my palm. I had two days off, but it hasn't gotten any better. I'm not sure if this will go away, but if I go back in tomorrow to sand for another 5 hours, I'm thinking I'll risk permanent damage if it isn't already completely destroyed... lol.

No gloves were used on the first day, I used those blue doctor-type latex gloves on the second day which they provide (LOL), from there I used a really cheap pair of $1 gloves from 7Eleven.

I'm kind of mad because no wonder they hired me as a temporary worker to sand metal, but mostly because they gave absolutely no warning, I really want to work tomorrow, but my conscience is telling me it might not be worth it... I've researched quite a bit through some forums found on Google, I'm thinking I did some real damage since I've been off for two days and there has been no improvement.

Any ideas?

Last edited by reckless1; 11-08-2015 at 07:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2015, 08:31 AM   #2
    Haydena
    Inactive
    (female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
    Re: Power Sanding For 1 Week - Not Sure If I Should Work Tomorrow

Quote:
    Originally Posted by reckless1 View Post
    I power-sanded huge metal sheets Monday - Friday last week, unknowingly using a death-grip way too much, and generally tended to apply a lot of pressure that focused on my middle finger where it meets the palm. I'd go in one and a half hour intervals with 5 minute smoke breaks in between for about 5 hours total.

On Monday, it was already hurting, by Friday my middle finger feels and looks sorta fat/numb, and I can't bend it all the way down to my palm. I had two days off, but it hasn't gotten any better. I'm not sure if this will go away, but if I go back in tomorrow to sand for another 5 hours, I'm thinking I'll risk permanent damage if it isn't already completely destroyed... lol.

No gloves were used on the first day, I used those blue doctor-type latex gloves on the second day which they provide (LOL), from there I used a really cheap pair of $1 gloves from 7Eleven.

I'm kind of mad because no wonder they hired me as a temporary worker to sand metal, but mostly because they gave absolutely no warning, I really want to work tomorrow, but my conscience is telling me it might not be worth it... I've researched quite a bit through some forums found on Google, I'm thinking I did some real damage since I've been off for two days and there has been no improvement.

Any ideas?
    You need to have that finger seen too by a doctor.
    Haydena.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #3
    reckless1
    (male)

reckless1 HB User

Hmm, I decided to buy some anti-vibration gloves and risk it - 2 more days of grinding totally worth amputating my finger for $140 right?

I'm hoping all is back to normal after a week; I'm so bored, I can't wait to work and smash a hammer into my hand all day!

I might post here again to verify I demolished my hand nonstop for 49 hours and all returned to normal.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
    cbl1947
    (female)

cbl1947 HB User

STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING!! Pain is a signal that something is wrong. Let your hand recover. I speak from personal experience on the dangers of persisting in an activity that causes nerve problems. I ruined my feet on an elliptical machine aggressively pushing off on the pedals (toe jamming), doing 30 to 35 miles a week. After 10 months, my numbness suddenly evolved into needle stabs, burning and electric shocks in my big toes & balls of my feet. Now, two years later, my neuropathy has morphed into something even worse: a rare, devastating condition called erythromelalgia (aka Man on Fire syndrome). Not saying this will happen to you, but I have learned a grim lesson: short-term gain is not worth possible long-term pain.

The following user gives a hug of support to cbl1947:
    stamm678 (11-11-2015)
    The Following User Says Thank You to cbl1947 For This Useful Post:
    Haydena (11-08-2015)
    Old 11-08-2015, 03:04 PM   #5
    reckless1
    (male)

reckless1 HB User

Well, as it feels right now, I'd give it one and a half weeks to return to normal after these last 2 days - I'm almost 100% positive that some veins/vessels, etc. were already demolished as I can only bend my middle finger 50% of the way down into my palm/it feels numb/tingles somewhat even when stationary - the question is whether or not that already entails permanent damage or if it would repair itself after about one and a half weeks? *Cheers...

The following user gives a hug of support to reckless1:
    cbl1947 (11-09-2015)
    Old 11-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #6
    cbl1947
    (female)

cbl1947 HB User

Don't do something you might regret a year or two from now. Please, if you can financially afford it (and even if you can't), take a break from work and leave your hand alone until it feels fine again.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:30 AM   #7
    CameraGirl1112
    (female)

CameraGirl1112 HB User

If this is work related (which obviously it is), it sounds like you've got yourself a workers' comp claim.

Closed Thread