It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Ulnar Shortening Osteotomy and Cubital Tunnel Release

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-11-2015, 02:25 PM   #1
    AccountantMom
    (female)

AccountantMom HB User
    Ulnar Shortening Osteotomy and Cubital Tunnel Release

Hello! I had an ulnar shortening osteotomy and a cubital tunnel release on 9/14/15 and have a few questions. My osteotomy incision is healing fine but my bone hasn't healed at all. Has anyone had the bone not be healed 2 months out and it subsequently healed? If it doesn't heal, what's the next step?

My cubital tunnel release was successful but my incision is painful. It's red (but not infected). I'm doing scar massage and so is my PT. he suggested that I start using Neosporin on it. Does that seem typical to anyone else's experience?

Thanks for the input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2015, 06:32 AM   #2
    BUD778
    (male)

BUD778 HB User
    Re: Ulnar Shortening Osteotomy and Cubital Tunnel Release

I had my radius shortened I was in a full and short arm cast for close to 4 months, took forever to get better, still having issues.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #3
    CameraGirl1112
    (female)

CameraGirl1112 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AccountantMom View Post
    Hello! I had an ulnar shortening osteotomy and a cubital tunnel release on 9/14/15 and have a few questions. My osteotomy incision is healing fine but my bone hasn't healed at all. Has anyone had the bone not be healed 2 months out and it subsequently healed? If it doesn't heal, what's the next step?

My cubital tunnel release was successful but my incision is painful. It's red (but not infected). I'm doing scar massage and so is my PT. he suggested that I start using Neosporin on it. Does that seem typical to anyone else's experience?

Thanks for the input!
    Hi there! I had an ulnar shortening osteotomy on 9/28/15 and I just came out of my cast on 11/10. My osteotomy site is completely healed, but the places they inserted k-wires during the procedure, there are still holes. I've been told that those will fill in eventually, and I am now in a removable brace.

I've read online that if the osteotomy site doesn't heal, there's a machine that they can use that promotes bone growth, or they can do a bone graft off of your hip (probably the more painful options of the two).

As for the scars- try a lotion with Vitamin E or try Vitamin E oil. It works wonders. You probably have some scar tissue growing under your scar, and the scar massage is to try to break that up.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
    AccountantMom
    (female)

AccountantMom HB User

Thank you for the replies. I was in a long arm cast from 9/14-9/25. That's it! Then I went to a removable splint. I had to wear it all of the time for one week, and then for comfort until 11/3. Now I am not using the splint at all. It's amazing how different the post-op treatment can be!

My PT says my range of motion is good. I'm limited to 5lbs because my arm hasn't healed. I have two large incisions. The osteotomy incision is healing nicely. My PT says that the cubital tunnel release incision looks "angry." Right now he has be using Neosporin, Cocoa Butter, and Vit E (at different times). He works on the incisions too. Hopefully it helps.

I go back for another x-ray on 12/8 so I am really hoping my bone decided to heal!

Closed Thread

Tags
    cubital tunnel, ulnar shortening complications