It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Wrist fusion opinions?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-26-2015, 10:26 AM   #1
    Jl682
    (male)

Jl682 HB User
    Wrist fusion opinions?

I realize it's late in the game to be looking for options or opinions to a complete wrist fusion since surgery is only days away. I think my choices are severely limited if any at all but here's the scenario. 3 years ago tore the schapholunate ligament in right wrist. Undiagnosed for about a year and partially fused when repair wasn't possible. As the X-ray shows 1 of the screws has pulled out and is pressing on the radius. As you might imagine the pain is extreme and I've had to wear a brace to limit motion while I've awaited repair for the last 2 months.

Http://lagraff.com/handxray.jpg

I at least have to have the screws removed. My surgeon said I only had 2 options and only one of those a good one. Remove the screw and let it it be or have the wrist fused. Before the screw shifted the pain was still significant and did not appear to be going away. My life style is active and requires or required heavy lifting. After looking at the X-ray, does anyone see any other alternative?

Thanks,
    I hope your all having a good holiday break!
    Jim

Last edited by Administrator; 12-26-2015 at 01:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
    Haydena
    Inactive
    (female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
    Re: Wrist fusion opinions? X-ray included

All I can suggest to you Jim, is to get a 2nd opinion. If surgery is an option, a 2nd opinion is the usual thing to do.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Happy holidays to you.
    Haydena.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-26-2015 at 01:03 PM.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #3
    Jl682
    (male)

Jl682 HB User
    Re: Wrist fusion opinions? X-ray included

Thanks Haydena,
    I'm on my second opinion with this surgery scheduled for Tuesday. Doc 1 would only fuse completely due to the damage and current state. My surgeon gave me a choice but also thinks fusion is the best option. I was curious if anyone else has bones missing and still opted for no hardware in their wrist. It's difficult to determine if installabillity automatically causes pain. I guess I'll never know at this point, I'd hate to have to redo this again. I'll keep reading more posts look for similar experiences.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #4
    nicnic77
    (female)

nicnic77 HB User
    Re: Wrist fusion opinions?

Hey Jim!

Just wondering what you decided to do regarding surgery and how you're going?

Found your post whilst searching for info on missing scapholunate ligaments as I've just found out that mine are MIA.

Hope all is OK,
    Nicole

Closed Thread