It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Muscle issue in arm

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2016, 10:05 PM   #1
    crazgrl
    (female)

crazgrl HB User
    Muscle issue in arm

I have had a problem since earlier than Nov. I had visited my gp mid Novemver and he did not think my problem was rotator cuff. He thought maybe tendinitis in my shoulder. I've been taking Aleve and this has done very little for me. I had a shoulder surgery on my left arm last year and while I am functioning, I am not keen on another surgery and the therapy following.

Currently, my shoulder is not frozen. However the final 5%-10% of the rom are tight and uncomfortable. Lying on my arm is painful. I have some joint pain which I suspect very well could be tendinitis or bursitis. However, my biggest issue is muscle spasm to the outside of my upper arm. This is definitely triggered by reaching up, extending out to the side and especially any sudden movements. At times, it feels like if I could simply readjust, the pain would decrease. However, I find the arm muscles to be more complicated than a Charley horse. Also, I am occasionally getting pain into my hand or the side of my neck. I hate the thought of another MRI, but I don't know what options I have.

Does anyone have suggestions for this issue? My dr did not want me to immobilize it in order to avoid frozen shoulder. I'm so frustrated with shoulders!!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to crazgrl:
    tess201 (01-10-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #2
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User
    Re: Muscle issue in arm

I'm frustrated with shoulders too! Your symptoms sound very much like what I am experiencing. I had right SLAP tear surgery years ago and am scheduled for the other arm surgery in a few days for rotator/labrum tear, tendinosis, bursitis, spurs, etc.. I don't have a full tear but the arm is reactive most of the time. I do not like the idea of another surgery but I've been years with this pain and I've seen zero improvement with the many modalities I've tried: PT, Stem cell injections, Prolotherapy, Acupuncture, Bee Venom Therapy, etc. At this point, I just want to get it over with and begin the healing process.

If you haven't already, you might try some of the things I mentioned above but if it persists I would definitely recommend another MRI to assess the situation. I hope you can fine some relief so that you don't have to go the surgery route, but if you do have to, at least you know that with time the problem with be resolved.

Tess

Old 05-27-2017, 06:34 AM   #3
    ozdude
    (male)

ozdude HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crazgrl View Post
    I have had a problem since earlier than Nov. I had visited my gp mid Novemver and he did not think my problem was rotator cuff. He thought maybe tendinitis in my shoulder. I've been taking Aleve and this has done very little for me. I had a shoulder surgery on my left arm last year and while I am functioning, I am not keen on another surgery and the therapy following.

Currently, my shoulder is not frozen. However the final 5%-10% of the rom are tight and uncomfortable. Lying on my arm is painful. I have some joint pain which I suspect very well could be tendinitis or bursitis. However, my biggest issue is muscle spasm to the outside of my upper arm. This is definitely triggered by reaching up, extending out to the side and especially any sudden movements. At times, it feels like if I could simply readjust, the pain would decrease. However, I find the arm muscles to be more complicated than a Charley horse. Also, I am occasionally getting pain into my hand or the side of my neck. I hate the thought of another MRI, but I don't know what options I have.

Does anyone have suggestions for this issue? My dr did not want me to immobilize it in order to avoid frozen shoulder. I'm so frustrated with shoulders!!!!
    I have been looking around this forum to see if I can find someone else with my problem and you are very close.
    Mine is right bicep outer side in the middle right about the base of the tricep.
    Aleve helps as does some sea salt lotion I rub into it but it always comes back.
    I workout regularly lifting moderate weights (I am almost 60) and just have to keep it in mind but can complete my routine. I just have to avoid bench press.
    It seems to become most apparent in bed and bites when I roll over. Other times it bites when lift my arm up from the front.
    Having read a few posts in here I am not so certain it is rotator cuff but could be tricep related also.
    Frustrated as I have been dealing with this for about 8 years and it is not getting better.
    Hope you have found some luck since your post.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:10 PM   #4
    WW2ER
    (female)

WW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB User

Years ago, I had something similar. The outside of my upper arm, that area between the two muscles just below your shoulder, was spasming-painfully. Had a few other issues going on that same time, fingers would swell up and then go back to normal and my jaw line would get tingly, that all turned out to be interrelated.

Was visiting my chiropractor, and mentioned my "fat fingers and tingling jaw, and what it boiled down to was referred to as "thoracic Outlook syndrome". One of the nerves running from my neck down to my arm was being impinged, causing my symptoms. Including the muscle spasms on my upper arm.

Unfortunately, I hold my tension in my shoulders, and at times have a tendency to work with my shoulders stuck in my ears.

Over the years, massage therapy once a month, and shoulder and neck head rolls typically keep it under control. For the last few years I may need to go in for an adjustment may be once a year.

But like every other profession, some chiropractors are good about expanding their knowledge and others don't. For me, somebody who was specializing in "sports injuries" provided me with the best treatment.

Good luck, and hope this may be part of your issue. I too went through rotator cuff surgery and would not want to do that again.

Closed Thread